Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56mm for Sheep rifle?

Black Stim

Hi folks,

As I often do about all gun purchases, I'm agonizing about what scope to finally top my sheep rifle with. I have a Borden 300WSM that weighs in around 7 pounds, unscoped. It was my intent to go with this weight as I wanted to put as much weight into the barrel as possible, while keep everything else at a minimum (skeletonized bolt, blind magazine, slender stock etc, Near Mfg. Ultraloy rings) to maximize accuracy potential. I'm also 6'2", 210 pounds and really don't mind an extra bit of weight, as I've really slimmed down all my gear to go ultra lightweight.

Where I'm struggling is I REALLY want to put the S&B 5-25x56mm on the gun, and need a great reason to be talked out of it. I know this magnification is way more than I need for actually shooting, but by my way of thinking, i'll have a huge advantage in field judging animals. I remember my Dall's hunt a couple of years ago where the groups of 8 rams was on the move. Had it not been for my buddy who tracked them through the spotting scope at 400 yards, there is no way I would have been able to keep track of the big guy I eventually harvested.

Other than the extra weight, can anyone think of a reason to talk me out of it?

Help is greatly appreciated!! Please consider that the minimum scope I'll have on this gun is the S&B 4-16x50mm PMII which is already on order, but can be changed if I go with the 5-25x56mm. Plus, as an added bonus, I should be able have better long range practice sessions on the range.

Help!!

If you go with the S&B 5X25X56 you will not need a spotter and that is for sure and for certain, the resolution is that dam good. I have one on my 338 Lapua and the resolution is as good (maybe a little better) than my 20X60X80 Swarovski spotting scope.

I'm happy to hear some support for my crazy idea!! Every other piece of my gear has been totally shaved for weight, so I'm confident I've more than saved the couple of extra pounds my rifle weighs. The only thing that worries me a little bit is the extra weight "in hand". Overall, I'm expecting that the rifle's total weight will be about 9 1/4 pounds. I guess it's not as though I'm carrying the gun on my hands for the whole hunt- maybe only the final 200 yards or so MAX.

I just know that on my last hunt, I wouldn't have shot with less than the 3-18x scope I had, set on 18X. It gave me the ability to resolve detail not possible on a lower setting.

At, say 500 yards, how large does the P4F reticle appear? I'm wondering if I should order the SFP reticle, as I know I'll never shoot past 600 yards, and I have a good laser rangefinder.

Thanks

I'm happy to hear some support for my crazy idea!! Every other piece of my gear has been totally shaved for weight, so I'm confident I've more than saved the couple of extra pounds my rifle weighs. The only thing that worries me a little bit is the extra weight "in hand". Overall, I'm expecting that the rifle's total weight will be about 9 1/4 pounds. I guess it's not as though I'm carrying the gun on my hands for the whole hunt- maybe only the final 200 yards or so MAX.

I just know that on my last hunt, I wouldn't have shot with less than the 3-18x scope I had, set on 18X. It gave me the ability to resolve detail not possible on a lower setting.

At, say 500 yards, how large does the P4F reticle appear? I'm wondering if I should order the SFP reticle, as I know I'll never shoot past 600 yards, and I have a good laser rangefinder.

Thanks

I have the P-4 Fine and I like it very much. My 338 Lapua weighed 11.6 pounds with a NSX 5.5X22X50 on it and no Bi-Pod. I now have the 5X@5 and a Bi-Pod on the rifls so I'd say a bit over 12 pounds

I took this Elk with the combo this past October

ElkHuntNewMexico2008063.jpg

I also carried on horse back getting up the mountain and wound up shooting my Elk off hand at 150 yards

ElkHuntNewMexico2008062.jpg

Last edited:
I understand your dilemma!

I have carried a 12lb rifle on my last two Dall Sheep hunts, and refuse to do it again.

I am building a lighter weight rifle for this year's Sheep hunt and I'm trying to figure out what scope to put on it. I went with as heavy a barrel as I could, but still get the rifle without a scope to come in at about 7lbs. I am also a bit on the big side, 6'1" 220 lbs, and a half pound either way wouldn't bother me.

The last Dall Sheep I killed was at 600 yards, and I was using a 5.5x22 NXS.

Personally, I don't think that a 22x or 25X scope is overkill when sheep hunting.

I can't seem to talk myself out of the 2lb scope, as I know the advantage of high end optics far outweigh the little extra weight.

Thanks for the responses guys,

Maybe that answers my question. You can only shoot what you can judge to be shoot-worthy. The potential of 25X will only get me closer.

Plus, my dilema never involved me getting some crazy ultralight scope in the first place. Too much sacrifice in optical quality. The dilema was only whether I would keep my order in for the 4-16x50 PMII or go with the 5-25x56mm.

BTW Joel, not sure how your custom rig turned out, but my best 4 shot aggregate with my 300WSM rig is .320", 0.58" if you include the "flier". Not bad for a sheep rifle.

Now if I can only get the E-tips to fly nicely!

The dilema was only whether I would keep my order in for the 4-16x50 PMII or go with the 5-25x56mm.

I think you answered your question.

Our problem is we have to figure in the extra weight of the high quality optics we are so accustomed to!

I'm not quite finished with mine yet. I'm in the process of making a stock for it. That's another thing that I had to add to the whole dilemma, what kind of wood to use...
Just like the deal with the optics... I figured a little more weight won't hurt.
Making one out of exotic hardwood, just have to be different...:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.