Sheep rifle

Sure I'll comment my 338 RCM has a 19 in barrel, I lose 16 feet per second adverage over my friend Hawkeye with a factory 20 in barrel...is my 338 RCM loud...well yeah but so is my 24 in barrel 338 Norma, and my 25 in barrel 300 Norma...and my 24 in barrel 257 Weatherby, etc...I think there is a trend here. The RCM was developed for a 20 in barrel and the superformace powder does wonders in the short tube. I've owned a couple of 300 WSMs and they do better with 24 in barrels--when you cut them below 22 they started to lose gas...on the RCM we have not tested one over 20 inches. The reason I wanted a 18 in tube is I didn't think I'd lose over 50 feet over a 20--and if I put a brake on it the total barrel would be 20 inches--and yeah I think I could get a 180 going 2700 out of that tube..that would easily get me to 500..all this type of gun is meant to do.

Sure I'll comment my 338 RCM has a 19 in barrel, I lose 16 feet per second adverage over my friend Hawkeye with a factory 20 in barrel...is my 338 RCM loud...well yeah but so is my 24 in barrel 338 Norma, and my 25 in barrel 300 Norma...and my 24 in barrel 257 Weatherby, etc...I think there is a trend here. The RCM was developed for a 20 in barrel and the superformace powder does wonders in the short tube. I've owned a couple of 300 WSMs and they do better with 24 in barrels--when you cut them below 22 they started to lose gas...on the RCM we have not tested one over 20 inches. The reason I wanted a 18 in tube is I didn't think I'd lose over 50 feet over a 20--and if I put a brake on it the total barrel would be 20 inches--and yeah I think I could get a 180 going 2700 out of that tube..that would easily get me to 500..all this type of gun is meant to do.

I am tracking with you on your thoughts. I am not challenging at all, and enjoy hearing what others do and think.
I found what you stated on the 20 inch barrel being the right design. Thats cool to know
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+...rformance+from+a+short+barrel?...-a0221219955

Thanks!

In addition to the other mountain ranges in Alaska, as a resident I have hunted the Brooks right at twenty times. There are a lot of good recommendations in the previous posts (some better than others) but felt the need to comment on the bears you will most likely encounter while hunting. Usually at least 2 or more different bears are spotted while sheep hunting - from too close to way far. The barren ground griz is a relatively small bear as far as griz go but are a singularity beautiful animal due to it's coloration and a trophy in its own right. I have only admired them to date but plan to shoot one before I hang up my huntin' boots. Just don't want u to come home saying, "if I had only known ....." Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts