What schmidt and bender??? is better

tjonh2001

I have finally narrowed down my scope choice between 2 scopes. I am looking for great glass and a ranging reticle with turrets. This will be going on my ultra-light hunting rifle. It is chambered in 7mmwsm and weights 6 lbs. this rifle will be used for hunting deer, elk and sheep out to a max of 6-700 yards. I am looking at the 2 fallowing scopes as they offer what I'm looking for in a scope.

Schmidt and bender 3x12 klasik
ART reticle by Darrel Holland?
NO Parallax adjustment
20ounces

Schmidt and bender 4x16 precision hunter
P3 or ART (reticle not in stock right now)
Parallax adjustment
27 ounces

I'm wondering which scope you guys would go with? I like the fact that the 3x12 is 7 ounces lighter but am a little concerned that it doesn't have a parallax adjustment. How much parallax can be see with this scope at 6-700. Going up a hill i would hate that extra 7oz but if i couldnt make the shot its all worthless.

I own 4 PMII's but I haven't used either one of these so if you own or have used one similar, please let me know and I can PM you a phone number. I have a couple questions.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think parallax really begins to be a concern until you get above 10x.

If SB had any concerns at 12x, I'm sure it would be included on that model.

If you're strongly considering ART for either one, then call Darrel Holland and ask him what he thinks. He's very technical as well as practical/experienced and will be happy to answer your questions.

-- richard

I have finally narrowed down my scope choice between 2 scopes. I am looking for great glass and a ranging reticle with turrets. This will be going on my ultra-light hunting rifle. It is chambered in 7mmwsm and weights 6 lbs. this rifle will be used for hunting deer, elk and sheep out to a max of 6-700 yards. I am looking at the 2 fallowing scopes as they offer what I'm looking for in a scope.

Schmidt and bender 3x12 klasik
ART reticle by Darrel Holland?
NO Parallax adjustment
20ounces

Schmidt and bender 4x16 precision hunter
P3 or ART (reticle not in stock right now)
Parallax adjustment
27 ounces

I'm wondering which scope you guys would go with? I like the fact that the 3x12 is 7 ounces lighter but am a little concerned that it doesn't have a parallax adjustment. How much parallax can be see with this scope at 6-700. Going up a hill i would hate that extra 7oz but if i couldnt make the shot its all worthless.

I own 4 PMII's but I haven't used either one of these so if you own or have used one similar, please let me know and I can PM you a phone number. I have a couple questions.
If it were me I'd go for the 2nd. Same quality construction and glass plus parallax adjustment and more magnification.

For me it's a no brainer.

i have 2 of Darrel's 3-12x42 one on a .280AI the other on a .300WM they are excellent scopes i haven't had parallax issues and have used them on steel out to 1000yds with good results. for a light weight rig i don't think you could get a better scope.

Another thing that might be a problem is I believe the Klassik only has 14 MOA of TOTAL elevation. I had one and sold it for that reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.