Schmidt and Bender 5-25 x 56 or Zeiss 6-24 x56.

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

Just ordered my latest toy which is a Tikka T3 Tactical in .223.

My New Toy

Now that I have the rifle sorted I need the scope to go on top of it.

The vast majority of my hunting is night shooting using a lamp for rabbits, hares and foxes. I also shoot small deer species when I see then in the daytime. I also go long range hunting which I do less frequently but I enjoy also.

I am torn between the Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 or the Zeiss 6-24x56. I know both of them are awesome scopes and will more than do the job I want but I just want your opinion on which is the better scope and why.

I have been drawn to the Zeiss for some reason but when I look at the figures the schmidt is equally as good if not better.

Also, should I go for first or second focal plane reticule on the schmidt. I am a bit worried that a second focal plane P4 fine ret will totally eclipse a rabbit at 600yds.

If you have experience with either of these scopes could you give me your opinions please.

Thanks Guys

Hiya Guys,

Just ordered my latest toy which is a Tikka T3 Tactical in .223.

My New Toy

Now that I have the rifle sorted I need the scope to go on top of it.

The vast majority of my hunting is night shooting using a lamp for rabbits, hares and foxes. I also shoot small deer species when I see then in the daytime. I also go long range hunting which I do less frequently but I enjoy also.

I am torn between the Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 or the Zeiss 6-24x56. I know both of them are awesome scopes and will more than do the job I want but I just want your opinion on which is the better scope and why.

I have been drawn to the Zeiss for some reason but when I look at the figures the schmidt is equally as good if not better.

Also, should I go for first or second focal plane reticule on the schmidt. I am a bit worried that a second focal plane P4 fine ret will totally eclipse a rabbit at 600yds.

If you have experience with either of these scopes could you give me your opinions please.

Thanks Guys

I have just been playing with a Schmidt and Bender PMII at a local gunshop and was surprised at how much easier it was to use than my Nightforce NXS.

I am not knocking the Nightforce, its a great scope that has served me very well, I have made some very impressive shots with it using my T3 Super Varmint, but I am getting a little racked off with losing the reticule on the really long shots with the very fine Nightforce reticule, particularly at night under the lamp.

The PMII has a 2nd focal plane fine P4 illuminous ret which was very impressive when viewed at x25. As far as glass clarity it wasn't really ideal conditions to test it as you really need failing light to see the true quality of glass, but the Schmidt ret alone has put paid to the Nightforce on my rifle.

Can some of you guys that have used the Schmidt and Zeiss give me your views please ???

Hi, looks like a late answer... anyhow I use a Zeiss 6-24x56 (Second focal Plan) and its nice even when its getting dusk and dark, its add with the red cross when its getting very dark. The 2-focal plan getting very large and cover the target too much when power is high on Zeiss hunting reticles.

Schmidt & Bender P4 Fine is very fine in 2-focal plan, so I would recommend the P4-fine in 1-focal plan or the normal P4 in 2-focal plan.

If you do a lot of target shooting on paper then maybe the P4 fine in 2-focal plan can be the correct one, but to use it for hunting... no way.

Cheers, M

Attachments

• Varna-20130205-00745[1].jpg
    Varna-20130205-00745[1].jpg
    62 KB · Views: 89
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.