Scent control

I line dry in town. Not necessarily suburbia. But stiil town with traffic and what not. No open burning. It's all a crap shoot. Carbon clothes and others are absorbing scent from first second they hit the air.

I fear the scent from a dryer more than from outside. May be 100% incorrect. Sure would be nice for a brain trust to develop a scent level system of measurement. Some definitive study.

I watch the downwind deer reactions. No reaction, I feel like I got it going. As soon as one spooks off me, I start all over. Clothes next to or very close to skin are washed after every use. Face masks and gloves are the exception, but I don't don them until after I climb tree. Outer clothes are used then stored until I get a negative reaction.

It's funny when they come right in while hanging stands or trimming lanes, etc. Mostly young ones though.

And coyotes too. Have a dog that refuses to take medicine? Peanut butter. We normally screw the lid to a tree, cut the bottom off the jar, then thread the jar onto the lid. You can see a couple in the first two pics. Use only a little bit at a time of fighting breaks out and the jars get ripped off the tree. Try it with a game camera.

Attachments

• yes.JPG
    yes.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 107
  • WGI_0020.JPG
    WGI_0020.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
  • WGI_0004.JPG
    WGI_0004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
This may be possible for people living in the country but I live in suburbs and there's all kinds of scents that I don't want on my hunting clothes.
I use the dryer after drying a couple towels that I washed in sf detergent and add a sf dryer sheet.
Please enlighten me if there's a better way for someone living in suburbia. My way has been working but am open to suggestions. Thanks
That works especially with towels and the scent free dryer sheets also. When deer hunting I used a cover scent VS-1. Was supposed to be Doe urine in Estrus from deer farms. It was expensive but it sure did bring in the bucks!

That works especially with towels and the scent free dryer sheets also. When deer hunting I used a cover scent VS-1. Was supposed to be Doe urine in Estrus from deer farms. It was expensive but it sure did bring in the bucks!
This cover scent sounds similar to the ever calm cover scent that comes in a stick like deodorant. Supposed to smell like a deer bedding area and works well but like you said is a little pricey but lasts a couple years. Puts the deer at ease thinking they are safe in the bedroom and then you shoot em! lol

This cover scent sounds similar to the ever calm cover scent that comes in a stick like deodorant. Supposed to smell like a deer bedding area and works well but like you said is a little pricey but lasts a couple years. Puts the deer at ease thinking they are safe in the bedroom and then you shoot em! lol
The company that harvested the Doe urine also made a product like stick deodorant in being a bedding scent.
"Boarded Crossings" was the company name.

My plan is to be scent free. I've tried all the coverups in the world including local leaves and dirt. Nothing better than essentially not being there. A whitetail will go on edge or get curious with any new smell, sight, or sound. I want them 100% being natural.

My comments are based on archery hunting. I use very little oil on my bow. I oil my firearms. It seems a little weird sitting in scent free clothes while holding a firearm cleaned with solvent and oil.
I found instead of oil on my bow, I use Vaseline and scrub it in with an old toothbrush.

I rifle hunt. Its never crossed my mind in 30 years of successful hunting to use any kind of scent be gone. Think about how far away a buck can smell a doe in heat, pretty sure they could smell your breath and tears in your eyes just as well. Work with the wind and don't get upwind and don't waste your money if you rifle hunt. Bow hunting it might be more important to try that stuff. This is the Long Range Hunting forum he-he not "Closest Shooter forum".-WW

And coyotes too. Have a dog that refuses to take medicine? Peanut butter. We normally screw the lid to a tree, cut the bottom off the jar, then thread the jar onto the lid. You can see a couple in the first two pics. Use only a little bit at a time of fighting breaks out and the jars get ripped off the tree. Try it with a game camera.
I know what works for dogs, but in the woods are you using the real thing or hydrogenated vegtable oil?

You can't beat the wind. Use a unscented soap and a cover scent, the Indians would burn damp leaves and stand in the smoke before a hunt. I make use of natural cover scents. If there's cattle around use that. Stomp a pie or two. Cedar trees can be used as cover scent. The pulp in the center of the little branches is quite strong. Rub it all over yourself and it will help keeps mosquitoes away also. Elk hunters should make good use of any wallows they find. Lots of good cover scents there! Lol

I know what works for dogs, but in the woods are you using the real thing or hydrogenated vegtable oil?
Well, I generally buy "All natural" but since I don't have a lab to test it, and I don't speak the government's language, or lawyer speak, I'm guessing in all honesty. I understand it's relatively easy to make from peanuts and a high end blender, but I haven't tried it myself. Natural peanut butter should be a little thinner too. More peanut oil. About every 3 years, racoons become a problem and we have used live traps to reduce the numbers. A few times we had more than one in the trap, and we were done in ten days using 4 traps. In a pinch, any peanut butter has worked, but the thinner variety is easier to spread in a thin layer. Twice now, a doe or button buck was close enough to touch. Why I suggested using a game camera and try it yourself. Setting out to much at a time results in destroyed jars and fighting.

Attachments

• show dowm.JPG
    show dowm.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 72