Scenars for hunting

Nozler BT hunting is similar to the accubond, the accubond has a much thicker copper cup at the base than the BT but the BT does have a thicker jacket in the back end of the bullet, much thicker than the average cup and core bullet. With the scenars you are going complete opposite of the accubond. No bonding, no heavier jacket at the base and no tip to initiate expansion. Open tip match bullets are notorious for unreliable expansion because sometimes the tip is not so open. You are shooting a PRC so the 140gr is going fast enough and likely slow down less on longer shots. Right now MIDWAY has the 140 accubonds.

Last edited:
I know it's not the exact bullet, but I had inconsistent results when using the 139 Scenar out of a 6.5 Creed as a coyote bullet. Some blew big holes, others seemed to pencil through. There's a lot of other 6.5 "hunting" bullets to choose from that are readily available. Why not try one of them? Personally, I've had great results on big game with the Barnes 127 LRX.

I have had really good results with the 139 grain Scenars out of a 6.5 Creed and a .260 Rem. I think the 123s may be a bit too fast for closer shots with the PRC. I don't however doubt the Scenar's ability to kill with authority, however.

There was a pretty good thread on the 24-hour campfire forum about animals killed with Scenars. Good info in it.

If you do decide against the Scenars, Sierra makes a 130 grain 6.5 bullet that has similar performance to the Accubond. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020546838?pid=406350

My experience with both 123gr & 139gr Scenars pushed quite fast in a Creedmoor, across a wide range of deer sized game, is that they expand consistently, but also exit.

I believe the lead may be harder than other cup & core bullets.

I loaded 108s for my son in his creedmoor. Only a sample of two pigs, but I am impressed. They hit like lightning, expanded well and exited. I'd concur, based only on results, that they seem to be a harder alloy than many cup and core.

I know it's not the exact bullet, but I had inconsistent results when using the 139 Scenar out of a 6.5 Creed as a coyote bullet. Some blew big holes, others seemed to pencil through. There's a lot of other 6.5 "hunting" bullets to choose from that are readily available. Why not try one of them? Personally, I've had great results on big game with the Barnes 127 LRX.
Thanks I may try the Barnes an I got some berger hunting. But the Berger are almost identical to the scenars

Nozler BT hunting is similar to the accubond, the accubond has a much thicker copper cup at the base than the BT but the BT does have a thicker jacket in the back end of the bullet, much thicker than the average cup and core bullet. With the scenars you are going complete opposite of the accubond. No bonding, no heavier jacket at the base and no tip to initiate expansion. Open tip match bullets are notorious for unreliable expansion because sometimes the tip is not so open. You are shooting a PRC so the 140gr is going fast enough and likely slow down less on longer shots. Right now MIDWAY has the 140 accubonds.
Ok thanks