savage trophy xp rebuild help

johnhhernan

I have a 6.5X284 norma, Savage 111 trophy XP; i bought a drop in HS precision stock and a Shilen drop-in barrel and a new barrel nut and a new recoil lug.

I want them to work, as of now it won't because the gun I bought has a plastic stock that the detach mag seats into and the mag release is built into the stock.

So basically I need to buy frame plate for a long action and rear and front pillars i also need to buy trigger guard with the release built in to the trigger guard and a mag that'll fit the new frame plate/bottom metal thats a 6.5X284 Norma.

Will it work with that action. So basically all as i have is the old receiver/bolt.

Enlighten me on if i'm headed in the right path or a broken down dream.

Well what I'm trying is, to find a gun with serial numbers that'll match what I want.

So, I found it, (I hope) its a 7mm RM. I'm going to call savage in the morning and see if I can order all the parts.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't work.

I believe the 7mm RM will work for the 6.5x284N the part number is the same for a 338 WM 7MM RM, and the 6.5x284 N.

These are all SS parts not that cheap plastic.

Joe I'll keep you posted.

The Savage 111 TH has plastic bottom parts. I assume you want to upgrade to metal bottom parts. You need a metal Savage LA, DBM Frame Assembly (surround), a metal LA DBM bottom cap to replace the plastic one you currently have on your DBM and a metal bottom bolt release trigger guard.

I asked the same question on savage shooter and this is what i came up with.

It is cheaper to just order a metal bottom bolt release trigger guard and plastic DBM Frame Assembly (surround) and use your current Axis-style DBM with plastic bottom cap.

The Savage rifle latch system on the plastic DBM and the metal DBM are different. So a plastic bottom DBM will only latch into a plastic DBM frame assembly and a metal bottom DBM will only latch into a metal DBM frame assembly. Call Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. He may stock the parts you need. Or your can call Savage Arms Parts and order what you need. As you would expect, the plastic parts are cheaper than the metal parts. When the Savage TH with plastic stock first came out, it had a removable plastic DBM frame assembly. But a couple of years ago Savage started molding it into the plastic stocks to cut manufacturing cost. Wood stocked Savage center feed rifles with DBM still have a separate plastic or metal DBM frame assembly. For example, the Savage 11/111 LWH models have a walnut stock with a plastic trigger guard, DBM frame assembly and DBM bottom cap to help reduce weight while I believe the Savage 14/114 American Classic still comes with all metal bottom parts.

So Joe,

Here's what I did, I contacted jim at northland and he's sending me all the parts to convert my 111THXP to something with real nice accuracy.

I ordered LA frame plate SS,. the 3 screws, an upgraded SS Bottom Release trigger Guard, I'm keeping the magazine and he's sending me a SS magazine bottom plate, so what I'll do is remove the cheap plastic magazine bottom plate and reinstall the SS one that he's sending me.

The down side to all of this is about $140.00.

I'll send pics when complete.

That is sweet man. i am looking at using a Boyds thumbhole stock and am waiting for a call back from them to make sure the parts i buy will fit the stock i plan on ordering. i will probably go the same rout you are as far as calling Jim up. the rifle i bought has not arrived yet as california has the 10 day wait. knowing that would you have purchased a.dicferent rifle?

I don't think I would change a thing, now that i know what to do and how easy it actually is.

The thing is I bought an HS precision stock and a Shilen select match grade barrel then I discovered that the stock had the magazine release molded into the stock. that's where it all went wrong. So I needed to buy all the parts that i mentioned before.

You have to wait ten days for a rifle? or any/all firearm. Does that include shotguns?

All the liberals up here in WA state are trying to control all our weapons. Its getting absurd, I feel for you.

Ive been looking at buying the Savage xp hunter and building a 6.5x284 can you post some pictures when you get the rifles done?

i hope the pics go up. I haven't worked up a load yet,but this was at 350 yards yesterday 10-19-14

Attachments

• 6.5x284.jpg
    6.5x284.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 257
  • SS mag.jpg
    SS mag.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 298
i hope the pics go up. I haven't worked up a load yet,but this was at 300 yards yesterday 10-19-14

I corrected the yardage it was supposed to be 300 yds.

One more thing, well two, I'm going to try three 3/4" flutes symmetrical and cerakote the barrel, maybe all the metal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.