Savage 22-250 rebuild

feelinducky

In one of my famous bouts of insomnia last night, I found myself trying to figure out what I am going to do with my Savage in 22-250. I had this crazy idea that it may be possible to convert it to a 270WSM. There are quite a few website that show how to do the conversion but I could not find any information on whether or not one can go from 22-250 to 270WSM. I know that the bolt face needs to be changed along with the barrel. There is also a difference in threads on the WSM. So will the action work?

Thanks

Last edited:
Bolthead and firing pin will need changing. Bolthead on the WSM case along with the Ultra mag cases are thicker so the firing pin will need to be longer.
Any barrel maker can make you a 1.060 (small thread) Pre-made Savage barrel to fit your action.

Many smiths take off perfectly good factory barrels and have them setting on a shelf gathering dust. Call a few as some give them away and some charge $50.
savageshooters.com

Neal

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts