SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

I did a preliminary break in for my rifle, then decided to pull the action out of the stock to see if The trigger was set as low as possible and see if there were any other easy improvements. These rifles are advertized as dual pillar bedded in their stocks. THere is a recoil luc and just behind that are two slots that would house pillars running parallel to eachother, but there were no pillars. Is this normal? any advice?

I've been shooting a new Savage Long Range Precision Varminter for about 2 weeks now,and to say I'm impressed with the gun would be an understatement! It's has the Target Accu Trigger (factory set at 8oz. will go down to two oz.) Mono Block bedding in a HS Precision stock,26inch long 1 inch diamenter bull barrel (no taper). The gun is a tack driver! And I haven't even found a pet load for it yet (.223cal). It has a 1-9 twist,and seems to prefer the heavier bullets (69gr. HPBT Match) so far. Ron
SavageLRPV.jpg
IM001148.jpg
IM001149.jpg
IM001150.jpg

Yeah,I've heard of a couple that didn't shoot well,and were sent back to Savage,then returned with a proof target,and list of what was done to the gun. They shot fine after being sent back. May have been a bad barrel? Ron

I like the fact that I can swap barrels out,though to be honest, I usually use the barrel that is on at the time and very seldom switch barrels in the field.

Sav.jpg

I recently ordered a Savage LRPV in .22-250, 1-9" twist. Was wondering what the procedure is to replace a barrel. I assume that you would use a go-no go gauge.

Basically if you have herculean strength, the nut pops loose. (it's only hard the first time, from the factory) You take the nut off, unscrew your barrel, put your go gauge or piece of brass in the bolt, screw your new barrel in until it contacts the gauge or brass, if it's an Ackley cartridge you might want it tight since the brass will shorten. If you have a no-go gauge make sure it won't close on it, then put your nut on and tighten it, but not near as tight as it is from the factory, I was told to go about as tight as you can with your hands.

Be warned thier addicting,since this photo another J single shot(the predisesor to the LRPV) has ben added and a 338 EDGE is in the works:D
Yep the right way to do it is to have the nut wrench, a barrel vise,an action wrench and a set of go-nogo gauges. I get buy with a dull rounded off chisel, hammer and a resized case, it has worked good for the dozen or so barrel changes I've done.
Be advised though that your LRPV has a different screw spacing and larger threads than the older Savages that are much more available. Your choices of stocks and barrels is somewhat limited at this point.

8-07%20Savages.jpg

Well, so far I'm not overly impressed with mine. I have a LFV 22-250 and it doesn't eject consistently. Half the time I have to fish the cartridge out of the camber with my fingers. Accuracy is OK, but I am not sure how much I like the Accutrigger. If the rifle continues to function as it has been, I will likely not purchase another one.

I've had alot of savage rifles.....Everyone of them have shot excellent with little or no work. Here is my current f-t/r class rifle that I built in december.

.308 win
30" pac-nor
hs-precision stock
RBLP LRPV action

101_0023.jpg

101_0025.jpg

190 sierra's are giving me 2740 with winchester brass and 43gr. varget.....It shoots pretty nice to!

Looks like a NF BR series... can't tell what power range. Nice scopes ;)

2740 from a 190 is smokin' right along even from a 30" tube... hows brass life?

I need to cook up a 'heavy' load for my gun... the practice day before FCNC '08 in Lodi is supposed to feature a 1200yd segment... :D I've had good results w/ RE-15 and 190s in other guns, just haven't got around to it with the new barrel on my 12 F/TR.

Scope is a Nightforce BR 12-42x56 NP-R2.........I absolutely love the scope. Burris signature rings, and farrell 20 moa base. Most people don't believe that I'm getting that much velocity out of a 190smk, but it's happening. I could only hit around 2675 with the lapua cases. I think the extra case capacity in the winchester brass makes it possible. Brass life has been good. I'm at 4 firings on my current batch and primer pockets are still tight. This is the load that I will most likely shoot in the nationals this year. Berger just sent me some new bullets for testing.....If they work out as hoped they should be offering them by May. It's a 155.5 palma bullet that is supposed to be alot more forgiving then their VLD line of bullets. BC is .486 and hopefully I should be able to run them around 3050fps. We'll see how things go.

Here are some pics of the Bullet compared to the 190SMK

101_0032.jpg

101_0033.jpg

Oh, I'm not doubting you can get the 190 up to the mid 2700s from a 30" tube. Just saying its a bit warm ;) Kind of like some folks I know run the 155gr VLD @ 3080-3100fps... a bit warm there also ;)

I haven't fiddled with my box of 155.5gr BTs yet... someone else who has tells me that they weighed and measured their box and found them *extremely* consistent in weight and ogive length. I didn't write down the exact measurements, but the lack of deviation was impressive.

I've got a small stack of Savages sitting here... the 12 F/TR aka my 'team' rifle, a 12 F/Open in 6.5-284, a RBLP Target action with a 30" Rock 5R 7.8"tw 6 Dasher barrel waiting on me to finish the SSS Dog Tracker stock, another Target action (this one a RBRP) that I've been thinking about making into a Prone/Fullbore/F-TR rig in .223 Rem... and the Savage that started it all for me, Ole' Ugly, my 10FP that has worn the factory .308 barrel, a SSS 6mm BR barrel, a LW .308 barrel w/ FTE brake (still in the safe), and currently a LW .223 Rem barrel (barely even broken in).

Earl, hope to see you @ Nat'ls this year. If you have any problems, come see us (Team Savage)... we normally have a 'care package' from Savage of small parts, etc. - helped out a fellow in '07 whose firing pin broke pretty much the first round of the day. Got him back up and running in short order.

Monte

wow. good reads guys. i have a savage model 110 300wm. looking to put one of SSS stocks on it. thinking of the LVTS. such you guys know of it but pics are always wanted..
SSSLVTS.jpg

im wanting the adjustable cheek pad and the butt hook. what do you think for an upgrade on a stock savage?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.