SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

I have a .308 Savage with the Laminated Stock, nice shooting rifle. I plan on getting another Savage very shortly.

Anyone have any idea what the LR Target 6.5x284 with the 30" barrel's approximate cost will be and when it will be available?

AG

I have owned several, a 116 stainless .338 win. mag, a 10FP .308, and a stevens 200 .30-06 (my current deer rifle) All have shot excelently, especially the 10FP. I am planning on building my 200 into a 7mm rem mag or ultra mag, later on in the year....

Jason,
My model 40 shoots the factory 35gr hornady rounds into about .75 of an inch and they seem to shoot the best out of all the factory offerings. I reload using the 35gr v-max hornady bullets with 13gr of Lil'gun and it shoots them into .5" group when I do my part. I have found it very easy to reload for.

Ian,
Anytime you want just send my a message and we can take the rifles out.

Savages are putting some very nice stocks on their more expensive models. h.s precision and mc millian. They are many nice stocks out their for savages, nearly as many as for remingtons. I will try to post some pictures of my savages. And let every one see the PTG spiral fluted bolts in the actions when they arrive. I plan on using only my custom savages for 1000 yards BR next year. Bell and carslon also make a vey nice tactical stock for sacages around 200 bucks and it to has a aluminum skelton for the action.

Ditto to all the good things above. Savage also covers us southpaws better than most anyone else. The plastic stocks aren't all that great, and if you don't check the bolts holding it to the receiver frequently, they'll work loose and drive you nuts at the range until you remember to tighten them.

I got a Stockade stock on the way, along with better bolts, and we'll see if that cures the only downside I can think of.

have a savage 10fp... it shoots better than me... for example, working up loads for it with a 178 amax and varget powder:(3shot)
44gr.- nice group of .567 ctc(two basically in the same whole)
44.5gr.- .317 ctc
45gr.- same .567 ctc with two more in the same whole.

I think the groups may have opened up from me pulling the shot. but otherwise they shoot well.

Lerch and I used a stock Savage 12BVSS to kill 2 pds each @ over 1000 yds.

pdogshot7-11-05013.jpg

pdogshot7-11-05014.jpg

pdogshot7-11-05018.jpg

These three were all on the same evening. I think we fired something like 27 rounds.

Here is the same rifle after Kirby got ahold of it.
6-250002.jpg

It still shoots ok, despite what Kirby did!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
6-250groups002.jpg

..and here is the 270 AM built on a Savage.
270AMMac001.jpg

i didnt know kirby worked on savages... I have one that could might "need" some work... I guess I might find out if he can work magic like he does on all other actions...

It was a .243 when we got our qualifying shots for the VHA 500 and 1000 yd clubs. Both shots were about 1070 yd for both of us.

25-06 is right, it is now a 6mm/22-250. Those groups were the first load I tried in the gun. With the load I'm shooting now it will shoot 1.5" 5 shot groups @ 400 yds everytime. I really think if conditions were always perfect it would do 1" all the time. It's always the horizontal that gets me.

Hey Bill, I dont know if I ever said Thanks for the 208g AMAX you sent me a while back. Cant remember if I did or didn't, but figured I would say Thanks again. Still haven't tried any of them yet, I got rid of my RUM about the time I got the bullets. My dads 300 RUM is about to be turned into a 338 EDGE. SO the only other 30 cal in my house is a browning a bolt in 30-06 which happens to be my moms gun. I think I'll just hang onto the 208's for later.

Your welcome. They cataloged those bullets this year and they've got some ready to ship so they should be fairly easy to get your hands on now!!

IAN

I do not think the Fclass guns are out for general public yet. at least that is what savage told me couple weeks ago.

I have one of the LRPVs ordered direct from them in 223 with the 1-7 twist and Savage said I was getting one of the first. Too good a deal to pass up, $565 delivered (MSRP almost $1000) as a Hunter Ed instructor that gets to buy one gun a year at that discount.

I have had several others and most shoot much better than other factory guns for sure.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts