Savage recoil lug ?

FEENIX

I need to replace a factory recoil lug on my trusty old Savage 111F in .300 WM. The most common choices available are .240/.250", .300", and .500". The .240/.250" is closest (but thicker) to that of the factory. Are there any further advantage/disadvantage if I go with .300" or .500" (almost 2x in price)?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Ed

I need to replace a factory recoil lug on my trusty old Savage 111F in .300 WM. The most common choices available are .240/.250", .300", and .500". The .240/.250" is closest (but thicker) to that of the factory. Are there any further advantage/disadvantage if I go with .300" or .500" (almost 2x in price)?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Ed

I like the .200 or .225s because of the excessive in letting in the stock that you have to do when
going to the thicker ones.

The standard is around .187 , so the .200 or .225 is thicker and stronger than the original
and works fine.

The .250 is the largest that I will use because any thicker and you will have to remove lots of
stock in a key area.

PTG. sells all of these thicknesses and midway has them also.

Most factory recoil lugs are stamped and require softer metal . the after market lugs are cut and
ground from stronger metal and perfectly flat/true, so even the .200 lug is much stronger.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Get a Sharp Shooter or Northland Shooter recoil lug they are both .25" and have the pin for the slot in the Savage action.

You can get the SSS from Brownells or the NSS directly from Jim.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.