Savage recoil lug??

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by kennyg, Jul 22, 2011.

1. kennyg

kennyg Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am pretty new here and new to gunsmithing. I am putting together my first savage, and have enjoyed the wealth of information I have found on this site. I was wondering why it is that everyone replaces the recoil lugs on their rifles. I realize that the factory ones may not be perfectly flat, but if the rear of the lug is bedded anyway, why would that matter? I have no problem buying a new lug, but am just wondering if there is any improvement in accuracy over the factory lug? I am sorry if this is a dumb question and thanks for the help!

2. treeman59

treeman59 Member

kenny. if the lug is not flat it throws (pulls) the barrel out of alingment with the action when the barrel nut is tightened. that is why most accuracy minded shooters replace the factory lug.

Darrell

3. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

I replace all recoil lugs, Savage or Remington with a Holland recoil lug. The only downside you may have with the Holland lug and a Savage action is the pin in the lug is alot smaller than the slot milled in the Savage for lug alignment. I've made my own adapter pins to fit the lug and the Savage action but typically I have a Kleindorst tool that aligns the lug based off of the front guard screw hole. Kevin Rayhill from Stockade Gun Stocks has recoil lugs specifically for the Savage that are very good as well.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I do much like Kevin does. I replace all recoil lugs because they are all uneven and there is no
    reason to squair and true an action and then place a uneven recoil lug between the shoulder/
    barrel nut and the reciever.

Most if not all recoil lugs are punched out, and the after market ones are laser cut and then
    surface ground so they are true.

I don't use the barrel nut so I don't pin the recoil lug And my tooling aligns the lug without a
    pin even if the lug has the pin hole drilled in it.

When replacing the recoil lug The proper thickness is important if you dont want to have to
    open up the stock or mill some of the aluminum bedding block away for clearance.

Most factory lugs are around .187 thousandths I like to use the .200 or the .228 thickness
    lugs because of strength and ease of installation.

J E CUSTOM

5. kennyg

kennyg Well-Known Member

So if I do NOT have the front of the action squared up, then would there be any benefit to the precision lug?

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I just got off the phone with Kevin Rayhill and placed an order for a couple of small shank recoil lugs. He sounds like a very nice guy. He asked how I heard about them and I told them about this post and mentioned your name. I hope you don't mind.

Thanks again.

Ed

7. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I just got some of Rayhill's lugs and really like them!! Also really like the stock my buddy got, I think I'm going to get a couple on order just cause I might need one :D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  8. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

If you think about it, it could ether help or hurt depending on which way the error on the lug
    went. On the other hand a new/true lug can only help because it does not exaggerate any
    out of squareness.

The way I feel about it ,Once you have the action off the barrel you might as well squair it and
    use a good lug.

There are no free rides to accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Well said!

10. kennyg

kennyg Well-Known Member

Okay, I think you guys have convinced me. Do you know who would square the face of my action?

11. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

If you're asking for a gunsmith recommendation, you cannot go wrong with any of the sponsor smiths here ... one of them already responded on this post.

Good luck!

12. Coopc230

Coopc230 New Member

I am also curious about this and new to smithing as well. With SHarp Shooter Supply lug the thickness is like .240" thick. Would this cause any issues with the engagement of the barrel nut? What other adjustments would need to be made when putting back together? Head space?

13. specweldtom

specweldtom Well-Known Member

I haven't barreled up a Savage, but I would set it up like a Remington and not use the barrel nut at all. One advantage to me is that the reduced diameter (weaker) threaded tenon is much shorter if you use the remington setup. Leaves more metal in the chamber area out in front of the receiver.

Tom