Savage Question

Gaut

This is my first post so if this is in the wrong forum I'm sorry. Ive been reading and learning on this forum for weeks now and am planning to pick up a 12FLV when I get back from my deployment in a few months. More from curiosity than a need to know at this point, but what's involved in changing barrels and calibers on a savage? Ive searched and read a few posts about doing it, but they were all written over my head. I've got a bare minimum of rifle knowledge.

This has been an awesome forum to learn from, thanks for the help!!

Brian

brian, go to the home page of this forum and look in the artcle section. read jerry taos' article "how to build a long range rifle on a budget"....this will tell you anything you need to know. i followed his advice and built my own rifle and it is a real shooter. good luck with your project...

oh and BTW.....thanks for your service....AJ

I used a savage for my first build. 12fvss changed the stock bedded it, had it head spaced, and a new recoil lug installed and it shot very well. Like single hole well. My advice would be get the caliber you want and check to see if the rate of twist will throw the bullet you want. Or just wait until you see the one you want in "gun for sale" a thread here and pick one up. They usually post how many are down the barrel and group and recipe it likes all the work is done you load and go out a have a great time. Just my opinion "that and $.25 won't even get you a phone call"

Brent

GGaut ,

Howdy and welcome to LRH !

From expierence -spend the money up front and get a model w/a good stock i.e. =laminate or composite -not plastic.

There is a web-site www.savageshooters.com -there's a plethora of info. on savages over there ,then come on back to the longrange side of the world !!

That would be a great rifle to start with. I started with a 112FLVSS in 300win.

All you need to swap barrels is an action vise and a barrel nut wrench. The vice can be made with a sturdy bench vice and a couple pieces of hardwood drilled to fit the action. The nut wrench goes on sale often on MidwayUSA for about $25.

It's a bit nerve wracking the first time you try it, but after you see how easy it is you will become addicted.

Ditto on checking out Savage Shooters. I'm a mod there. Great bunch of folks. Very laid back and definitely worth the membership $$.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts