Savage 338 questions, Attn Gunsmiths

jkrueger

Going to build a 338 on a savage target action I have that is currently unused. Question for you members, and more so for the board gunsmiths. Should I go Edge or Lapua Mag? Premium brass is available for both at similar cost, so which one is better for this application and why. Details welcome as I am a technically driven individual in the engineering profession. :)

You won't find anyone to chamber a Lapua on a small shank action. I have a savage 110 with a shilen 30" stainless select match barrel chambered in the edge and absolutely love it. Its at the smith right now getting threaded for the brake. My poor shoulder couldn't take the pounding any longer.

Target Action, single shot, is a large shank. Lapua Mag boltheads are available from PTG in short action configuration, so that seems like an endorsement from PTG that this action can handle the cartridge. Does anybody know if the 110 BA action is any larger in diamater than a standard target action?

The 338 Lapua is a very good cartridge. the 338 RUM has a slight "Edge" in case capacity over the Lapua But the 300/338 RUM (338 Edge) has it beat by a large margin.

So If you are looking for velocity the Edge has the upper hand in velocity without excessive pressures.

The Lapua cases are great and will take more pressure without case failure than most other cases.

I would base the selection on what bullet you want to use. If it is a 300 grain, I would chose the Edge.

If the bullet you like is 250 grains or less I would chose the 338 RUM.

If you had a custom action or a Mark 5 Weatherby with the larger bolt then I would probably
go with the 30/338 Lapua or the 338 Lapua.

I know this is not very much help but maybe it will give you something to think about.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.