Some Savage, scope and bullet questions

earl1704

Have a 270 WSM to start fiddling with for long range hunting and target shooting (600 ft. I figure is max for hunting).
1. What reticule would you suggest for a Nightforce NP1 scope?
Mostly target shooting but some deer and pig hunting.
Would you recommend a different scope?
Yes I can spend that kind of money on a scope (my wife says) :)

2. Does anyone know if the stock on a model 16 Savage 270 WSM is considered plastic or fiberglass? Or how can I tell?

3. Reloading question, I have read not to measure a cartridge from base to tip of bullet. But to measure from the base to ogive to get a more consistent reading. What do you measure from base to ogive with?

1-I think you mean Nightforce NSX scope. NP1 is a type of reticule. Most around here use a reticule with 1 or 2 MOA markings for hold off. These are the NP-R1 and NP-R2

2-Savage stock is plastic. Way to soft to be fiberglass. But it will have steel pillars. It may shoot well for you if you don't use a bipod.

3-To measure from the base to the ogive, you'll need a Hornady Bullet comparator or similar other brand. It uses an insert to mimic the diameter of the lands, or where the bullet engages the rifling.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.