Savage Stock question

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by earl1704, Nov 15, 2008.

1. earl1704

earl1704 Active Member

Have a Savage 270 WSM and would like to change the stock. It’s a model 16, I would like to purchase the new stock pillared and beaded but can’t seem to find one for a model 16 (I can find a stock for other Savage models). Am I misunderstanding the term “model 16”? Price is not as important as a good stock that can be painted or comes in cameo. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

2. yorke-1

yorke-1 Well-Known Member

The model 16 is just another variation of the model 10. Any stock for a short action Savage shoud work. If it's a 2 digit model number, like 10, 12, or 16, it's a short action. The long action versions just add a third digit, 110, 112, 116 etc. Hope this helps.

3. Tang

Tang Well-Known Member

The full lenght bedded Hogue stocks are a nice touch. The Boyd's laminates are nice too.

4. mkg

mkg Well-Known Member

Earl, You will also need to know if it is a centerfeed or the newer stager feed magazine . The reciever bolt spacings are different between the two.

Mike

5. Forester

Forester Well-Known Member

One of the best for a laid up stock for a Savage are the Stockade stocks. The only problem is the wait. Tuesday of next week will mark 16 weeks since I ordered mine...Still waiting.

If it is a short mag it is likely centerfeed. But you need to measure the spacing between action screws. to be certain if the stock you are looking at will fit.

6. Tang

Tang Well-Known Member

I have a 14 in .325 WSM with the detachable mag. I wasnt sure if I could change the stock on it or not.

7. gbp

gbp Well-Known Member