Savage question?

I did take a unloaded round, and pressed an 140 amax to the COAL of 2.82 which is given in the Hogdon manual and is used for the COAL of the hornady match 140's. I chambered the unloaded round and still had the same resistance, when I carefully unchambered the round the COAL dropped down to 2.65. I didn't this several times to make sure I was getting an accurate reading. With that COAL of 2.65, makes this round a major compressed load. My brass sizing is fine, when I load a piece of brass that had 2 firings on it the bolt dropped down with ease. I did contact Savage this morning and they are going to take a look at it, UPS is picking up the rifle tomorrow. I forgot to ask though how long they thought it would take. I know this is not a high end rifle and i'm not expecting it to be but I can't live with that short of a chamber, not to knock Savage at all. I've tried measureing and thinking of anything else that it could be and can only come to the conclusion that they chamber is to short. Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate the info.

Sounds like you nailed it. And that is my problem COAL. But, that throat does sound pretty short. That's a hell of a jam. So much so that they wouldn't jam all the way in. Probably a good thing. The only other thing that came to mind was headspace. If that was the case though it'd be a bit more than a little pressure closing the bolt. Good luck with it and make sure you include all the detail on the problem you see when you send the gun back.

I've seen them. The trouble I have with people using COAL is that it is dependent on the depth of the throat and the shape of the bullet. It would be possible for example for a bullet of a particularly blunt shape to end up being jammed while the COAL is within acceptable specs if one were to take a COAL value off a different bullet intended for a rifle barrel cut with a different reamer. That could result in excessive pressure and is the reason I take all my base to ogive measurements for each bullet I want to develop a load for.

It seems to me that COAL is only an issue for those who are limited by mag length and they want to mag feed their rounds. I'm single feeding. In the case of mag feeding, any discussion of base to ogive is not all that important as they are limited in what they can do from a seating depth perspective.

Agreed! That's why I noted as ...

Same here but I pay very closed attention both the CBTO and COAL to formulate the best compromise between the two for my particular rifle and purpose.

Cheers!

Agreed! That's why I noted as ...

Cheers!

The UPS man came and picked her up for me yesterday. I called Savage again because I forgot to ask what the turnaround time may be and they said between 3 and 6 weeks. I'm hoping for 3 but i'm thinking it might be 6, we'll see. Just when I was starting to stretch the legs on this rifle and really get comfortable shooting it, oh well better now then later. I guess I will have to do some more load development when I get it back, I cannot see any reason they wouldn't stretch that throat out some more.

The UPS man came and picked her up for me yesterday. I called Savage again because I forgot to ask what the turnaround time may be and they said between 3 and 6 weeks. I'm hoping for 3 but i'm thinking it might be 6, we'll see. Just when I was starting to stretch the legs on this rifle and really get comfortable shooting it, oh well better now then later. I guess I will have to do some more load development when I get it back, I cannot see any reason they wouldn't stretch that throat out some more.

I have a Savage LRP in 6.5 Creed. The barrel had a loose spot about half way down the barrel! Bad steel that allowed the bubble when the button went through, I guess. Sent it to Savage, they replaced the barrel. Said it was out of spec. New barrel was perfect. I expect they will treat you well too.

Turnaround was 6 weeks for me, but that was due to their summer shutdown and a holiday. Just bad timing to sending it back on my part...

God luck and let us know.

Hopefully Savage will get it right where you can load for this cartridge and get the efficiency and potential accuracy that it is capable of. Keep us informed with you progress. I have a .260 on a mauser action I put together sometime back. It shoots great. Since have been thinking of getting a 6.5Creed barrel to screw on one of my Savage's, simply because factory ammo is plentiful and affordable, kinda do like you have done.

Just wanted to give an update, don't want to be one of those who post a problem but never post the results. Savage mailed me back my gun, it only took about 3 weeks from time it got shipped to the time it came back. It did take a little longer for the gun to actually get in my hands as my wife wasn't at the house and I was at work every time the gun was delievered so UPS ended up shipping it back to Savage. That was very frustrating, but I called Savage and they were very kind as to ship it back out when they recieved it and didn't cost me anything. I've got to do some more measureing and testing but overall everything seems great. They did open it up some so I can seat a 2.82 load and the bolt seems to work a lot smoother. Overall i'm very happy with Savage's customer service, the only small complaint that I have is that they didn't send any paper work as to what they did to correct the problem. Now I can't wait to see what she'll do on paper. Thanks again for the replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.