Savage build

I can empathize because I have had gout for the last twenty years. And when I wrestled I've finished matches even with injuries like a dislocated ankle or separated ribs so I understand pain. Joint pain from RA or gout isn't nice. You 243 Win will be fine for deer and competition shooting. A mile will be probably too far but there are other alternatives. Working with your son or some trust worthy shooters will help to test the waters on what is acceptable recoil. Meaning if you find a certain rifle comfortable they might be able to tell you how the recoil feels on larger cartridges in comparison. A 284 Win in a long action with 30 inch barrel might get you to a mile with less recoil. I say set up your 243 win or look into the 6mm varieties others have mentioned. All are good choices. George Gardner competed with a 243 win years ago for 1000 yard sniper competitions. You'll find that on 6mmbr.com. Stay in good health and have fun!
Thank you I've read and watched his video several times. I love the 243 and know that it can reach a mile with the right bullet and wind conditions if that is even a thought process in my son's head. I'd just be happy with getting to 1360 before I can't do it anymore. But it's just easier for me to remember now with one bullet instead of two. I keep going back and forth between the 243 and the 6.5. I know what a Nosler Partion does to a deer without the some horror stories that the new cup and core bullets do. Only problem is in the 6mm it's all Hornady or Berger. Plus my brake will work on anything 6.5 and under. I guess that's the beauty of a Savage, if it doesn't fit right in 10-15 minutes you have a different caliber and it can be done at home with no smith. I know he wants to try the 6.5 Northland has them for a decent price. And a new Criterion for the 243 isn't to bad even though I want a Battling but can't afford one . It's going to be a fun ride seeing him grow behind a rifle. And watching him become a very competent and maybe a competitive shooter.

I've looked into it a little since posting the thread. One of the problems right now is being able to find 6mm bullets. Being everyone now is on a 6mm kick. It was so much easier to feed it before the 6cm and all the other variations of 6 mm came out in the last few years.
It's really funny to me as the .243/6mm used to be thought of as a coyote, varmint round only . And ever since the pros started using them now everyone wants a coyote /varmint round/rifle. Which of course I understand because of the recoil. But being it's been around since like the 50's, it's just funny how popular it is now to shoot a 6mn now
Lot of Whitetails shot in my neck of the woods with a 100gr bullet out of 243 Win. Also used for Antelope and Mule Deer medicine out west. It is not anything new for hunting medium size game!

I've looked into it a little since posting the thread. One of the problems right now is being able to find 6mm bullets. Being everyone now is on a 6mm kick. It was so much easier to feed it before the 6cm and all the other variations of 6 mm came out in the last few years.

Lot of Whitetails shot in my neck of the woods with a 100gr bullet out of 243 Win. Also used for Antelope and Mule Deer medicine out west. It is not anything new for hunting medium size game!
I've taken a few deer with it also but the Nosler Partion 100gr that I use doesn't have the best ballistics to get out to 1360 for target shooting being I can run it at 20-40 fps slower than a 6cm. I'm just not really enthused with the success of the Hornady eld's or the bergers that some people on here or other forums are getting. I've dropped deer within 40yrds of being hit with a bonded bullet. Nothing in the 6mm line any heavier than 100gr. If I go to 6.5 there are several in the 140 gr line up that are bonded. Don't get me wrong the eld's and bergers are great target bullets. But I've never lost an animal to a bonded bullet. That's what is making this decision so darn hard. Do I give up target yardage for hunting yardage or the other way around with the 243 as I really only want to shoot 1 bullet so we don't have to re sight twice a year. Unless I buy another rifle which of course I can't afford to buy one the turn around and re barrel it and put it in a chassis. It's a very perplexing dilemma.

If I stay with the 243 it will have a 24" 8 twist Criterion match barrel from Jim at Northland Shooting Supply. That way I will be able to shoot heavy bullets. But I'm limited to cup and core instead of any bonded bullets which I've used for a long time.
From what I can find it's either Hornady or Berger for a 105 or 108 bullet. Being we process our own meat, I'm not a real big fan of a lot of meat damage or picking out a lot of lead out of the meat. Sometimes I wish I hadn't jumped down this rabbit hole, as it's been a back and forth decision that on some days has no end in the back and forth part lol.
I imagine someone might've mentioned it, but for hunting ranges with a 6mm some of the heavier monolithic might be good then you din't have to worry about the lead in the meat and picking that out. I'm sure you've heard but Hammer makes some good bullets and they have quite the product lineup.

I imagine someone might've mentioned it, but for hunting ranges with a 6mm some of the heavier monolithic might be good then you din't have to worry about the lead in the meat and picking that out. I'm sure you've heard but Hammer makes some good bullets and they have quite the product lineup.
I've heard of them but haven't really looked at them yet. I might have to look into them. Thank you

Ok thank you I really appreciate it
Just looked at the 243 101gr hammer. I used Bergers ballistic calculator. That round goes subsonic or transonic which ever you call it at like 1100yds which means it would be subsonic for about 300yds to get to the end of the range near me. One of the problems that I have with the 6mm is even at 3090fps they slow down to early at long range. Even with the Speer 100gr boat tail with better BC's even slows to early. Being this build might be used in competition I may have to really start considering the 6.5.

Just looked at the 243 101gr hammer. I used Bergers ballistic calculator. That round goes subsonic or transonic which ever you call it at like 1100yds which means it would be subsonic for about 300yds to get to the end of the range near me. One of the problems that I have with the 6mm is even at 3090fps they slow down to early at long range. Even with the Speer 100gr boat tail with better BC's even slows to early. Being this build might be used in competition I may have to really start considering the 6.5.
I would really reconsider trying to use a hunting bullet and pushing it as a target bullet. You're not going to have the best results. I understand what you're trying to do, but to do it successfully you'd need two loads developed. You should be able to take a couple shots, if you record where your zeroes are for each bullet, to reconfirm zero when you need to switch. The "best" hunting bullets don't typically make the "best" target bullets and vice versus. Consequently you could get a second barrel for the rifle, one being a hunting barrel and one being a target barrel of different cartridges and calibers, each best suited for the application. I know that's more money, re-zeroing with two different bullets would be cheaper and slightly less effort when it comes to change to hunting/target time.

I would really reconsider trying to use a hunting bullet and pushing it as a target bullet. You're not going to have the best results. I understand what you're trying to do, but to do it successfully you'd need two loads developed. You should be able to take a couple shots, if you record where your zeroes are for each bullet, to reconfirm zero when you need to switch. The "best" hunting bullets don't typically make the "best" target bullets and vice versus. Consequently you could get a second barrel for the rifle, one being a hunting barrel and one being a target barrel of different cartridges and calibers, each best suited for the application. I know that's more money, re-zeroing with two different bullets would be cheaper and slightly less effort when it comes to change to hunting/target time.
Additionally with the 88gr HH you'd likely be able to get to 3300fps or even possibly more. The recommended twist rates that Steve has listed on the site aren't to be scoffed at. The 101gr HH is probably going to be quite a bit longer than even the 105-110gr lead bullets. I know the 177gr 7mm HH is as long as my 195gr Berger EOLs. I do have some others for my 6.5 Grendel and 123s for my 6.5 Creedmoor too. I wouldn't push the limits on the spin rate. You'd likely need something faster than 1:7 to provide good stability at 1360 yards. Plus the Hammers are faster than everything else, it's true.