savage build

the shotty

I kinda hate to do another one of these threads but I have been researching for a few months now and am about ready to get this thing going, just want to make sure this is the right direction. First forgive me as this may be long winded.
I want to build up a long range elk thumper pretty set on either 300 rum or 338 rum. No edge at this point due to prefering a factory chambering though I do reload. I currently have a tikka 300wsm and an old savage in .270 I got from my grandfather. I'm thinking of selling the tikka and using the savage action which makes me think 338 rum would be in my favor being slightly shorter coal.
I would like something resembling the mcmillan eol outdoorsman for the overall build so I'm thinking as follows

- shilen select in a threaded 26"
-muscle break 3 or 4 port?
- manners ultralight stock or mcmillan ultralight with a DE cheek piece
-good but pad
-either a sss trigger or the like, maybe even modifying an accu-trigger
-egw 20 moa base
-viper vortex pst 4-16, don't know about rings yet

Any thoughts/comments/ concerns?
In order to keep cost down and because its not a big deal to me I'm planning on single load only.
Hoping to achieve 9-10 lbs for rifle.
The guys I hunt with carry 338 rum, 375h&h,458 win into the woods all of which I have shot a bit. And while not pleasant, not that bad to shoot so I'm sure I can handle a slightly heavier braked 338rum just fine. With that being said I have a savage model 12lrp with the hs stock and de cheek piece I spend a bit of time practicing with and am competent to 6-700 yards and can hit at 1k though still working with that one. My point being that this build isn't my only long range boomer or experience I just want something with more authority for elk. Im not planning on this being much of a brush/woods gun though it will see some timber. I want something mostly for overlooking clear cuts.
Anyway I've been on this forum for a few years and though I don't post much, am usually here daily and have come to really respect what most people have to say. So with that I'm not really interested in going and posting this to another forum, I have browsed a number of other forums (savage shooters) and am at the point of asking advise from this forum. So thanks in advanced for your replies.

Sounds like a very good build. May want a little longer barrel, but 26" matches the rest of your build very well.

Good idea to run it single shot. Too much of a hassle to make it a repeater. And, you can always reverse the process to make it a repeater with standard length rounds.

I'd recommend Burris Signature Zee rings. Can fine tune your scope zero or windage and protects against ring marks.

So, I have an email out to benchmark barrels about possibly having them do a pre-fit for me. My question to you guys is about grooves, it appears they do Polly 3 grove barrels and the only thing I can find is in relation to ar15 barrels. I swore I read a post somewhere that more groves are better for the 338s, anybody confirm this or have thoughts/comments?

I can't seem to edit my last post so I'll post what I found. Benchmark said they would make me a 5 groove 27 inch barrel with a 9.5 twist with 6-8 week lead time. It's a bit pricey to me for a pre-fit but it would be nice to stay local (they are 45 min drive from me) and I hear great things about them so I think I'm going to give it a go sometime next week unless anyone has anything to add.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.