Savage build

avidbowhunter

I'm going to start a build on my Savage 11 that is currently a .243. But I still can't decide whether to keep it a .243 or change to a 6.5 creedmore . I was thinking about 6 creedmoor but I wouldn't gain much. It will be used for hunting and long range targets. And I was wondering if anyone would know how much the action weighs by itself.
As of right now it's still together and I don't have everything yet to tear it down. I'm not sure yet on a chassis style as weight will be a factor. Thank you

The only reason I wouldn't keep it as a .243 is Savage uses a 9 twist on most of their barrels and if you want to shoot the heavier pills you would need an 8 twist. If you have the brass and dies order a .243 barrel as it is a great cartridge.
This is the weight on a large shank short action;
Action Lg shank w/ bolt & trigger 1lb 13.3 oz

Mine is a small shank action. I have everything for .243( dies,brass,some 103 eldx). If I keep it a .243 it's going to get a Criterion 1-8 or 1-7.5 twist 24" barrel. The range I have access to goes out to 1360. But my son may eventually get into competitions with it.

Fire forming isn't that big of a deal other than using components. Just shoot your normal 243 loads and you're done.
I've looked into it a little since posting the thread. One of the problems right now is being able to find 6mm bullets. Being everyone now is on a 6mm kick. It was so much easier to feed it before the 6cm and all the other variations of 6 mm came out in the last few years.

It's really funny to me as the .243/6mm used to be thought of as a coyote, varmint round only . And ever since the pros started using them now everyone wants a coyote /varmint round/rifle. Which of course I understand because of the recoil. But being it's been around since like the 50's, it's just funny how popular it is now to shoot a 6mn now

There's always that. As mentioned before in a pinch you could still shoot factory ammo out of the AI. Then again that'd put you in the same boat as building a 6CM. Hopefully it's not long before components are readily available again.

There's always that. As mentioned before in a pinch you could still shoot factory ammo out of the AI. Then again that'd put you in the same boat as building a 6CM. Hopefully it's not long before components are readily available again.
Ya that would be nice. I've been able to find some for the 6.5 if we go that route. I've never had or shot one yet. But my son said he'd like to try it.
And he also said he might be interested in competing. The range I live close to goes out to 1360 and they have matches there also.I can't do anything like that anymore because of medical conditions in the last couple of years.
Being the state of the industry it may take a year to get everything unfortunately.

Ive thought about doing a 243AI. The ability to shoot 243 factory rounds is a nice option in todays world. But the ability to gain all the benefits of the improvement makes the build more worth it in my mind. And if you can afford an aftermarket barrel, a new set of dies really wouldn't break the bank. The cream of wheat method of fire forming doesn't sound to painful. My 260 is currently being "improved" right now. I'm gunna use some pistol powered to form brass, while I search for bullets.

Depending on what you want to hunt a 7-08 is an interesting cartridge too. 308 Win also comes into play, that's my buddy's go to for elk 300 yards and under. If you already have 243 brass and dies I'd just order a fast twist 243 later on. That would be fine for deer and long range targets.

Ive thought about doing a 243AI. The ability to shoot 243 factory rounds is a nice option in todays world. But the ability to gain all the benefits of the improvement makes the build more worth it in my mind. And if you can afford an aftermarket barrel, a new set of dies really wouldn't break the bank. The cream of wheat method of fire forming doesn't sound to painful. My 260 is currently being "improved" right now. I'm gunna use some pistol powered to form brass, while I search for bullets.
I've looked for Sierra 100grn TGK for a year now and still can't find them anywhere. But I normally shoot 100grn Nosler Partion's. Problem is that bullet is like 29-30 mil at 1360 and is already subsonic at like 12-1250 if I remember right from the ballistic chart I ran