Savage build

Just looked at the 243 101gr hammer. I used Bergers ballistic calculator. That round goes subsonic or transonic which ever you call it at like 1100yds which means it would be subsonic for about 300yds to get to the end of the range near me. One of the problems that I have with the 6mm is even at 3090fps they slow down to early at long range. Even with the Speer 100gr boat tail with better BC's even slows to early. Being this build might be used in competition I may have to really start considering the 6.5.

You absolutely couldn't even consider that bullet in a 7.5-8 twist. It will not work! I ran it in my 7 twist around 3300 FPS and it grouped well at 100 and 200 yards but I just didn't care much for it at long range. Hammer actually even recommends running it in a 6 twist for a hunting rig.

I would really reconsider trying to use a hunting bullet and pushing it as a target bullet. You're not going to have the best results. I understand what you're trying to do, but to do it successfully you'd need two loads developed. You should be able to take a couple shots, if you record where your zeroes are for each bullet, to reconfirm zero when you need to switch. The "best" hunting bullets don't typically make the "best" target bullets and vice versus. Consequently you could get a second barrel for the rifle, one being a hunting barrel and one being a target barrel of different cartridges and calibers, each best suited for the application. I know that's more money, re-zeroing with two different bullets would be cheaper and slightly less effort when it comes to change to hunting/target time
I also have a 30/06 that he could use as a hunting rifle but he has never shot it so I don't know if he can take the recoil yet. But to me 2 different loads or 2 different barrels equals 2 separate rifles. When starting out his hunting or shooting competition career would be completely different shooting them as we both really like the trigger and the bolt lift of my 243 action. We've been discussing it more tonight so hopefully we'll come up with a plan here soon. But for 1 rifle and 1 bullet/ load combo I'm starting to think the 6.5 cm might be the best option.
You absolutely couldn't even consider that bullet in a 7.5-8 twist. It will not work! I ran it in my 7 twist around 3300 FPS and it grouped well at 100 and 200 yards but I just didn't care much for it at long range. Hammer actually even recommends running it in a 6 twist for a hunting rig.
Ya I looked at them and according to the ballistic calculator they won't work for what I want to do. The only way to for us to keep it a 243 is to go to a 90 or 95gr and push it faster. So it's probably going to get turned into a 6.5 cm

Mine is a small shank action. I have everything for .243( dies,brass,some 103 eldx). If I keep it a .243 it's going to get a Criterion 1-8 or 1-7.5 twist 24" barrel. The range I have access to goes out to 1360. But my son may eventually get into competitions with it.
Go with the 7.5 twist barrel, the benefit will allow you to shoot a 115 gr DTAC bullet, you know what David Tubb has accomplished in the 100 yard world with this bullet. The 243 AI is a great option as is the 6XC or 6mm Creedmore- (Basically the same as 6XC- go figure)

Go with the 7.5 twist barrel, the benefit will allow you to shoot a 115 gr DTAC bullet, you know what David Tubb has accomplished in the 100 yard world with this bullet. The 243 AI is a great option as is the 6XC or 6mm Creedmore- (Basically the same as 6XC- go figure)
I haven't really looked into the 115 dtac yet but I was thinking about it