Savage AXIS or marlin XL7

Marlin is owned by Remington, so I think its their model 7 of some sort...

Not true, they are completely different rifles. They share more features with a Savage than the Rem Model 7.
But the original Marlin JM stamped guns are generally more desireable by most.

Yeah, I just looked at it, the do have barrel nut, but its not Savage :D the bolt is different but there are some similarities when it comes to boltheads :D also I found this picture for comparison

XL7-700-70.jpg

just wonder if there are any pre-fit barrels for Marlin you can buy, probably you can change barrel same way just like on Savage, you know there are conversion kits for Rem-700 and you can outfit it with barrel nut...

I have a marlin XS7 in 7mm-08, and savage axis rifles in 223, 243, 7mm-08, and 308. I havent done any load work up with the savages yet but i prefer the XS7, mainly because of the much better trigger. But, my 223 rem will put 10 fed 55 gr fmj's into 1" groups at 100 yards.

Nice link as I would look at a 26inchbarrel for it but it is a shame The export cost would make the barrel cost as much or more than the original rifle! roughly $535 for a marlin here, and around $500 U.S. by the time they get the permit to send the barrel (roughly the price of the rifle at our exchange rate) and then I assume there is still a postage cost as well. I wonder if MAB or madco have an appropriate barrel in oz?

Check this out. A review of the Axis and some targets.
[ame=http://youtu.be/2jXCGrTLWVY]Savage Axis Review 223 - YouTube[/ame]

This one is shooting the Axis
[ame=http://youtu.be/cSoGViOF5BE]Savage Axis 223 at 320yards - YouTube[/ame]

After reading and seeing good reviews I ordered and received 2 edge (they changed the name to axis) rifles when they first came out. 1 was a 270 and the other a 7-08. I have been a Savageaholic for many years and love their rifles based on the model 10/110 and own a pile of them. All i can say about the Axis is I don't know what the people that like them are drinking? or what those that give them good reviews are getting paid. The triggers are an abomination even after changing out the spring, the stocks though fairly ergonomic are completely flimsey and of exceedingly cheap construction,the finish chips and flakes off if you look at it wrong (some kind of thick fragile matte coating?) and after trying multiple loadings I could get neither to do better than 2-4MOA and they were never consistent. Sure was glad to sell em for half what I paid. it was a good day. The Marlin X series though an economy offering in my opinion is 10 times the rifle the axis wants to be. It shares a lot of features with the Savage model 10 design as well as copying from several other manufacturers. I still have many Savage rifles but they wont fool me again with a new product until I've checked one out in person.

Good point, I tried their models 11, 111, LRP and LRPV and all had problems, lots of them...

hey Jinx are there any rifles you haven't got issues with? I seem to recall you have bagged remington, savage, and howa in the few threads I have read. What do you shoot and how good is it? let us know cause if you do not have an issue with it it must be good and I think it must be the rifle I want to buy!lightbulb

guess not then maybe you are just shooting an old SMLE and like all the guys who own them consider them the best invention since the 22lr ...lol just joking and trying to keep the thread alive. but seriously jinx what do you shoot?

did I say anything bad about Remington? Actually I had one of theirs 597 plinker's which I wasn't happy about, but I got rid of it for Remington model 30 and that's a tack driver ;-) have Rem 700 no issues other then flimsy stock which I changed to B&C...

but seriously jinx what do you shoot?

I used 2 Savage actions as donors, one is from model 111 another from LRPV target left port action, on 111 I installed 26 or 28" heavy varmint barrel in .260 Rem, its some heavy stick to climb uphills the target action is outfitted with 30" heavy bull barrel in 6mmBR and its more to shoot from fixed position, its very heavy to carry it around. That's all as far as Savages....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.