SAVAGE AXIS II

Clay Target Guy

Ok, first off, I have never owned a Savage centerfire in my life, but after reading all the stuff about how great they shoot and that you can change bolt heads out and go from standard .473 to mag. or what ever, I figured why not. The fact that Savage has a $50 rebate on the Axis made me jump.
I got a SS Axis II in 308 with plans on just changing the barrel to something else (don't ask me what cause I don't know. It is part of being a gun nut)
Anyway, after I bought the rifle I figured I need to know what I have gotten myself into. I found that the hole spacing is 4.75 (not the exact number but I can't remember what it is) for the action so aftermarket stocks are somewhat limited.
What else do I need to know, tricks to get the best out of a Savage, etc. I have been a 700 man with some Tikka's, and a few Ruger's thrown in, but like I said, this is my first Savage.
Thanks
John

Oh, man...you can have so much fun with a Savage. You mentioned re-barreling it so I'll recommend a Criterion barrel from NSS. As far as stocks go you can put it in any number of Boyd's stocks or go with a chassis....XLR 'Element' or MDT 'Oryx' just to name a couple. Have fun with it!

I was watching a Youtube video on these rifles last night, did I understand the guy right that even though it is a 308 (s/a) that you can shoot long action rounds like 25-06, 270 etc. in it? I measured the mag and it is 3" inside dim. That is not an exact length as I did it with a 6 inch scale and not a dial caliper.

Check this thread (post #2) out for a good explanation on Savage Axis rifles being one action length....

So, when I order a replacement stock, I need to order it as a "short action" to get the space right for the magazine, and if I want to go to say a 270, I would need a new stock for the long action without a spacer?

I know on a Tikka, it has only one action length and a spacer in the back of the magazine for short action vs long action but the magazines are the same length.
There is a different length bolt stop but that is it.

I'm letting go of a savage axis ii because it's not shooting as well as I'd like and don't want to spend any more money/time figuring it out. In my researching various issues with them, one thing that seems to be fairly common is the firing pin spring. A lot of people were having a fair number of fail to fires and light primer strikes due to the spring design. I think there was a pretty simple fix a lot of people did with a washer and it's possible that the new axis iis have the fix from savage. But, one thing that was recommended by people was to store the rifle with the firing pin decocked so that the spring isn't under constant pressure. A few people had no issues at first and then after 6 months or so they were getting light strikes and fail to fires due to the spring getting worn out

Lipstick on a pig.
Bought an Axis in 308 for my son for his 13th Christmas. It was $200. Accurate, great trainer and beater. But over time, the thought of the savings was replaced with "one less spot in the back of the safe" irritation.
I have built Wildcats on Savage actions, but *much* prefer other platforms.
The floating bolt head is great. The extractor and ejector suck ballz - even the aftermarket ones.
If you have the money to burn, go for it. My most precious commodity is time. I'd rather try to make a suppressor out of a soup can than try to upgrade an Axis.

One good thing is I a Bridgeport mill and a couple of lathes in my basement so I can play for cost of parts.
I need to see if the receivers need truing like a 700 or if they are good to go as is. The floating bolt head is all new to me and I need to do some research (hence this thread) on what needs to be done.

One good thing is I a Bridgeport mill and a couple of lathes in my basement so I can play for cost of parts.

Nice!! I've done several Savage builds (on 10/110 actions) and have never had any of the actions trued up. They have ALL consistently shot .5 moa or better with the right hand loads. Hard to ask anything more out of 'em...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.