Savage action

squirrelduster

I recently purchased a Savage 111 7mm Rem. Mag..
I am having a hard time deciding what to make it into. I was thing about a 338 edge. The action is a small shank, will there be any issues?
I am thinking about an elk rifle for a November trip to Colorado in a somewhat light barrel profile.
Any thoughts?

You can do a .338 Edge on a small shank. I did mine on a small shank, but it's done with a shoulder on the barrel and no barrel lock nut. If you call Pac-Nor, they will build a barrel in .338-300 ultra mag (338 edge) that uses the locknut in a small shank, if that's the way you want to go, I think I called shillen about a barrel as well and they said they'd do it in the small shank, but that may have been in 300 ultramag, not sure if they have an edge reamer. In the end I just threaded and chambered a barrel myself. Even being a long action, You'll still probably end up with it being a single shot so as to be able to seat the bullets out long. I've been toying with the idea of making my own bottom metal for my savage for a Wyatt's detachable box mag that's intended for the Remington 700. One of these days I'll bite the bullet and order a magazine and see if it's possible.

Zeb

I've also done two 338 Edges on small shank savages. One was a repeater on a regular long action that started as a 7mmRM.

My current one is a long action/short mag port action that started out as a 308.

ZebDeming,

You're going to have a tough time getting the Wyatt to work because of the mounting screws. The Savage rear screw is in front of the trigger and the Remington is behind the trigger on the tang.

CDI is making DBM's for long action Savage but it's only big enough for 300win length cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts