older savage action

TimeOnTarget

My grandfather gave a older pre-accutrigger savage in 3006. I'm guessing it is about 15yrs old.

Is it feasible for me to think that I could rebarrel this rifle myself? I have limited gunsmithing abilities/tools. Adjusted a few triggers, mounted scopes but that's about the extent of my gunsmithing if youd even call it that.

How sure are you about the age?

Much older 110's are not easily swappable. Is there a bulge on the barrel where the rear sight attaches? Is there a recess in the chamber for the bolt nose, like a Remington?

If so, it is a pre-'67 action. You'll have to use a new style bolt with a new barrel.

Certainly not pre '67. No open sights on the rifle. Has a barrel nut.

anyone have a video/site where i can learn more?

The pre-67's had barrel nuts. But it sounds like you don't have a pre. I just wanted to be sure. Starting with a pre-67' costs a bunch more.

The Wheeler action wrench and Wheeler nut wrench from Midway is the cheapest way to get into barrel swapping.

They also have barrel swap kits that have the barrel, nut wrench, and gauges.

If you don't have to change the bolt head. It is as simple as breaking the nut loose. Unscrewing the barrel. Inserting the no-go gauge. Screwing the new barrel on. Tighten the nut. Check with go-gauge.

Go shoot.

The pre-67's had barrel nuts. But it sounds like you don't have a pre. I just wanted to be sure. Starting with a pre-67' costs a bunch more.

The Wheeler action wrench and Wheeler nut wrench from Midway is the cheapest way to get into barrel swapping.

They also have barrel swap kits that have the barrel, nut wrench, and gauges.

If you don't have to change the bolt head. It is as simple as breaking the nut loose. Unscrewing the barrel. Inserting the no-go gauge. Screwing the new barrel on. Tighten the nut. Check with go-gauge.

Go shoot.

Thanks GG,

Appreciate someone looking out for me!:D

So ill need a wrench, and go/no go guage. I want to go from a 30.06 to 6.5x284 so that should be the same bolt face, correct?

Thanks GG,

Appreciate someone looking out for me!:D

So ill need a wrench, and go/no go guage. I want to go from a 30.06 to 6.5x284 so that should be the same bolt face, correct?

Action wrench and a nut wrench. You can get them both from MidwayUSA.

You can buy the go-gauge from Midway too. You can put a couple layers of scotch tape on the end of the go to use it as a go-gauge.

Yes, the 284 has the same bolt face as the 30-06.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts