savage accutrigger

big mike 2121

Please give me your opinions on this trigger. Have a savage coming in today or tomorrow. give me the good and the bad. Can it truly be adjusted down to 2.5lbs?

Depending on what model you get some of them go much less than 2.5 pounds. My last Accutrigger was set around 18 oz. They do take a little getting used to and they have some weird safety features that annoy the hell out of some people depending on their trigger technique. Personally, I love them for factory triggers and once you get used to them they are nice to shoot with.

Big Mike,
I have one on my Savage 12 in 6.5-284Norma and like it alot. Mine is adjusted down to 2.5 lbs with no problems or glitches. My other Savage 112 wears a Rifle Basix, my Sendero's factory trigger has been cleaned and tuned, as has my Winchester M70 HVB's factory trigger. All tuned down to about 2.5 lbs and I can't tell alot of differnce in the four.
Never owned a Jewell but IMO the Accu-Trigger is a helluva' sight better than the old Savage "adjustable" factory. Enjoy. JohnnyK.

It's not a Jewell.

But, it's pretty good for factory trigger.

The biggest complaints usually stem from people putting too much side to side pressure on the center safety tang which may not allow the rifle to fire.

I've never had any issues with my 12F either.

-- richard

Putting to much pressure on the side of the centre leaf in my case is not what causing my target accutriger to lock-up it just putting pressure on it will cause engagement of the safety mechanism. How frustrating can it be, when you ready to take a long shot and that trigger locks on you and you have to cycle action to unlock it. Another thing I noticed, after I adjust it to 2lbs last fall at this setting I had no issues with safety lock-ups, but last month while I was at the range it start to jam again and I had to do field repair on it, which required taking action out of the stock and without torque wrench on hand I had some fun getting it back to where it was. In my opinion if you got hunting accutriger, it should be OK, on the other hand their target accutriger not worth it. Also on my 111 long action build I replaced its heavy hunting trigger with Riflebasix trigger, and I absolutely love it.

Big Creek Regulator, be careful with what you have now, since accutriger have tendency to fire while you cycling its action, in my case it would snap on bolt close, but since middle leaf in my case is in place it wouldn't fire, but without one you'll get slam-fire.

This thread is exactly why gun companies have lawyers.

The safety mechanism is there for a reason and a trigger that goes off when you close the bolt is not set correctly.

When in doubt, seek professional help.

-- richard

This issue with slam-fire, I experienced only with target accutriger, where its impossible to achieve its lowest settings at which trigger fails to fire, however it does function OK at 1.5 - 2.0 lbs but with time it looses its adjustment, maybe setting it adjustment screw on locktie could make this trigger more reliable, still its not what target trigger should be, or I got another mass produced lemon from Savage.

Back to regular programming....

I have zero issue with any of mine bit they take a bit of getting used to, All of mine set to 2.5 pounds or less (Lyman gage). The red tang triggers will set below 1.5 pounds.

In this day and age of hold harmless clauses and litigation, the Accu Trigger is a fresh breath of air (in a factory firearm).

Go pull a Ruger sometime.....................:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.