Savage 338 Lapua

At . 008 thick that barrel is going to blow up. Period. Now if he meant . 080 that's probably right on the edge depending on how close the flutes extend to the chamber. Max pressure happens around 3 to 4 inches from chamber. But if he in fact has only
.008 barrel wall I would ask for a replacement barrel. But it seems this guy is not going to back up his work.
Shep
No he gave up on the guy but doesn't dare shoot the rifle either which I don't blame him. His ordeal is the reason I was hesitant about buying a ready to go prefit from a company but turns out they were legit, I don't want to say their name as not to confuse anyone.

At . 008 thick that barrel is going to blo . Period. Now if he meant . 080 that's probably right on the edge depending on how close the flutes extend to the chamber. Max pressure happens around 3 to 4 inches from chamber. But if he in fact has only
.008 barrel wall I would ask for a replacement barrel. But it seems this guy is not going to back up his work.
Shep
Question:
Upon examination of the barrel and noting right away that its length was incorrect why did he accept it?
Alarm Bells should have sounded as the closer he examined the barrel the more discrepancies he noticed.
He does have however some viable alternatives legal or otherwise.
After talking with this gunsmith and getting nowhere fast, retain legal Counsel( preferably a lawyer who is a proactive gun owner and shooter), Contact the BBB of the appropriate state, & Post information about this incident as well as the company and owner's name on as much social media as possible ( include all photographs and all documentation ) .
After all one photograph is worth a thousand words!
Additionally by word of mouth, being certain to back up your allegations and keeping at hand all documentation and photographs to present if need be you will only aid in furthering your cause l
Finally tell all your friends about these jokers not forgetting the way in which you were treated!

Perhaps if you called the so called Gunsmith who sold this to you again reminding him about his shoddy workmanship and subsequent treatment, as well as what your intentions are , he may reconsider and make things right.
Remind him that you are serious about this matter and are prepared to go to court if need be.
If nothing else you will have succeeded in getting his undivided attention , putting a lump in his throat , and perhaps the fear of God in him!

Nobody who is a reputable merchant would want such a stain on their name or business ,as in the long run it can ruin both his name creditability, and even his practice .
To that end kindly remind this gent again the lengths that you are willing to go through in order to achieve a satisfactory ending !

All this should provide food for thought.
As to your firearm

Danger :
Please do not attempt to use with this barrel in place!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
@Coldfinger if he paid with a credit card he should be able to do a charge back and get his money back. CC companies usually have protections in place for receiving goods that are not as described.

I would definitely have the barreled action shipped back before I started the dispute though.

Question:
Upon examination of the barrel and noting right away that its length was incorrect why did he accept it?
Away Alarm Bells should have sounded as the closer he examined the barrel the more discrepancies he noticed.
He does have however some viable alternatives legal or otherwise.
After talking with this gunsmith and getting nowhere fast, retain legal Counsel, Contact the BBB, & Post information about this incident as well as the company and owner's name on as much social media as possible ( include all photographs and all documentation ) .
Additionally by word of mouth, being certain to back up your allegations by keeping at hand all documentation and photographs to present if need be.
After all one picture is worth a 1000 words.

Perhaps if you told the so called Gunsmith who sold this to you about his shoddy workmanship as well as what your intentions now are he may reconsider and make things right.

After all nobody who is reputable would want such a stain on their name or business ,as in the long run it can ruin both his name creditability, and even his practice .
All this should provide food for thought.
As to your firearm

Danger :
Please do not attempt to use with this barrel in place!

Good Luck!
Oh I agree I'm asking for a friend that has the barrel troubles. I always figure go with a name brand barrel and pay the price just once! I told him now he can laugh as he once did when I bought a $60 clearance barrel from midway!!! At least I can shoot it and it groups under 3/4 inch at 100 yards!!! He made the remark nice Dollar General barrel, I figured I could cut it into drawbar pins if it didn't shoot! But it's a keeper.

@Coldfinger if he paid with a credit card he should be able to do a charge back and get his money back. CC companies usually have protections in place for receiving goods that are not as described.

I would definitely have the barreled action shipped back before I started the dispute though.
I certainly would agree with you here!

We have savage elite precision came as a 338L rechambered to 33cx makes an ELR rifle for $2000 very accurate .

Only if the merchant will accept a return in the allotted time frame.
In a perfect world that action would transpire, but in reality the world we live in is far from perfect.
Typically I believe the bank or credit card company allows 30 days to file a complaint against a merchant.
Note: ( I'm not an expert on this subject )
Then said vendor must provide an RMA (return merchandise authorization ) stating that he will accept a return and give instructions on how to proceed with the return of the defective merchandise.
Next a downloadable return label will be sent with instructions on how to have the merchandise sent back.
Normally this would a UPS or FedEx scheduled pickup.
This would apply to all honest merchants, however if he paid with a credit card the time frame may be considerably longer.
( Check with your bank or credit card company for details )
The down side of this is that his capital may be tied up for 3 - 6 months before the bank / credit card company reaches a final verdict. Additionally he may wind up having to pay the cost of return shipping.

IMHO This pair reeks of a questionable as well as an unscrupulous nature.
As such instead of keeping on the straight and narrow path of life this pair of characters seemed to have wandered off into the brush and fallen into a dark hole!
Honestly I kinda doubt that this so called smith , and pal will accept a return barrel even if paid for by a credit card without a lot of B.S. and whinnying on their end !

Last edited:
Only if the merchant will accept a return in the allotted time frame.
In a perfect world that action would transpire, but in reality the world we live in is far from perfect.
Typically I believe the bank or credit card company allows 30 days to file a complaint against a merchant.
Note: ( I'm not an expert on this subject )
Then said vendor must provide an RMA (return merchandise authorization ) stating that he will accept a return and give instructions on how to proceed with the return of the defective merchandise.
Next a downloadable return label will be sent with instructions on how to have the merchandise sent back.
Normally this would a UPS or FedEx scheduled pickup.
This would apply to all honest merchants, however if he paid with a credit card the time frame may be considerably longer.
( Check with your bank or credit card company for details )
The down side of this is that his capital may be tied up for 3 - 6 months before the bank / credit card company reaches a final verdict. Additionally he may wind up having to pay the cost of return shipping.

IMHO This pair reeks of a questionable as well as an unscrupulous nature.
As such instead of keeping on the straight and narrow path of life this pair of characters seemed to have wandered off into the brush and fallen into a dark hole!
Honestly I kinda doubt that this so called smith , and pal will accept a return barrel even if paid for by a credit card without a lot of B.S. and whinnying on their end !
Yea the guy has already ordered a new barrel from a reputable barrel manufacturer. Another 10 week wait. I told him to join this forum and reach out to some smiths they may have a barrel and time to do his work!

Yea the guy has already ordered a new barrel from a reputable barrel manufacturer. Another 10 week wait. I told him to join this forum and reach out to some smiths they may have a barrel and time to do his work!
Greg Young a.k.a. bug holes.com at Southern Precision rifles has over 100 barrels in stock another place online I have used in the past is evolved ballistics

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.