Savage 338 Lapua

Coldfinger

A friend of mine has a Savage 111 in 338 Lapua. What would he have to do to rebarrel it in 338 Edge. It has a detachable magazine box. He likes my Edge better than his Lapua.

The only difference in most edge and 338 Lapua is edge are custom and sometimes see a lot longer barrels. If he doesn't like a 338 lapua he won't like a 338 edge.

Love my 338 RUM. 3000 fps w/Berger 300 OTMs. (36" 3 groove Nitrided)

338 rum.jpg

A friend of mine has a Savage 111 in 338 Lapua. What would he have to do to rebarrel it in 338 Edge. It has a detachable magazine box. He likes my Edge better than his Lapua.
1) He will have to change the bolt head to get the right bolt face. This is one of the conveniences of a Savage.
2) OAL may be an issue. I have shot the 111 in Lapua but don't have one to measure. May not be able to mag feed bullets seated at the length you want, or not able to use heavy bullets and mag feed.
3) Extending on #2, one would need to determine if the action is set up to feed the longer round. A Remington pattern action requires substantial modification of the mag opening in the bottom of the action and the bolt stop. I've never converted a Savage so I don't know how feasible it is.

The Savage should already have bottom metal for a cip length (3.875) aics pattern mag (internal length 3.775), it will also have a large shank barrel.

Just get a barrel spun up, change the bolt face, and get a 300rum mag from accurate mag and you're good to go up to that 3.775 coal. If you need longer than that, it becomes counter productive on a savage

Regarding the 338 edge, what does he like better? Performance between the 2 is very similar. I have a savage stealth in 338lm.its stupid accurate with every thing I've shot through it. Its favorite factory load shoots 3/8 moa consistently

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.