Savage 338 Lapua

The only difference in most edge and 338 Lapua is edge are custom and sometimes see a lot longer barrels. If he doesn't like a 338 lapua he won't like a 338 edge.
I'm not sure his barrel length but my 28" tube easily breaks 3150 with 250 grain match kings. I know nothing of the Lapua and I'm only seeing 2800 in Berger book with H1000. In my book it's hotter. I didn't crono my loads that were stretching the primer pockets. On the second resize.

I'm not sure his barrel length but my 28" tube easily breaks 3150 with 250 grain match kings. I know nothing of the Lapua and I'm only seeing 2800 in Berger book with H1000. In my book it's hotter. I didn't crono my loads that were stretching the primer pockets. On the second resize.
If he's looking for extra performance, why not just AI the 338LM he already has? Would seem to be a backwards problem to achieve performance to go back to a smaller case. A 338LMAI should have more case capacity than an Edge. Correct me if wrong Edge guys. He could also drop into a 300-338LMAI with less cost than switching to the Edge and launch the 245's.

I'm not sure his barrel length but my 28" tube easily breaks 3150 with 250 grain match kings. I know nothing of the Lapua and I'm only seeing 2800 in Berger book with H1000.

In my book it's hotter.

If he likes yours because it shoots flatter, then he needs a longer barrel. Savage states that the long range hunter model comes with a 26" barrel, but that includes the muzzle brake in the length. He effectively has a 24" (same as my 110 stealth 338lm). You have 4 more inches of barrel than he does. With equal barrel lengths the 2 cartridges are theoretically within 50fps of each other. In reality, I wouldn't put money on one being faster than the other as they're so close the person with the faster barrel will win.

If he wants flatter/more powerful he should just keep it simple: order a new longer barrel and have it chambered for 338 lapua Ai. It'll easily outrun your 338 edge, it will use the same brass, bolt head, and mags he already has. Just get a new FL die and the barrel and he's good to go.

Last edited:
If he likes yours because it shoots flatter, then he needs a longer barrel. Savage states that the long range hunter model comes with a 26" barrel, but that includes the muzzle brake in the length. He effectively has a 24" (same as my 110 stealth 338lm). You have 4 more inches of barrel than he does. With equal barrel lengths the 2 cartridges are theoretically within 50fps of each other. In reality, I wouldn't put money on one being faster than the other as they're so close the person with the faster barrel will win.

If he wants flatter/more powerful he should just keep it simple: order a new longer barrel and have it chambered for 338 lapua Ai. It'll easily outrun your 338 edge, it will use the same brass, bolt head, and mags he already has. Just get a new FL die and the barrel and he's good to go.
Yea his barrel is all f—ckd up. He bought it from some dip that cut it too short then told him to f-off because he paid already. If I knew the barrel makers name I'd post it.

He just told me the guy that fluted it cut them and the barrel is only 8 thousands thick at the bottom of the fluted??????

You have any pictures of the barrel?

That sounds unsafe

That seems kinda rediculous of somone to do. Most people that would have access and knowledge to that kind of equipment should know better.

You can sometimes find factory take off barrels for ~$250 and you can get aftermarket ones new for under $375

Either way, if that material thickness is accurate I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that thing while it's being shot....

You have any pictures of the barrel?

That sounds unsafe

That seems kinda rediculous of somone to do. Most people that would have access and knowledge to that kind of equipment should know better.

You can sometimes find factory take off barrels for ~$250 and you can get aftermarket ones new for under $375

Either way, if that material thickness is accurate I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that thing while it's being shot....
I don't have pics but I believe the guy he's a machinist and works with the local gunsmith at a local factory. I guess he sent it back and the builder told him it's fine and to make up his mind because he's got his money and barrel.

I guess he sent it back and the builder told him it's fine and to make up his mind because he's got his money and barrel.

Wow, that's some really crappy customer service there.

If you can find out what the builders name is, I'd like to know it. I live in Alaska so basically anything I want done in a reasonable time frame gets shipped to somewhere in the lower 48. I would like to make sure I do not use this guy by accident lol

How long was the barrel supposed to be? Was it the factory barrel that he just had fluted or an aftermarket?

At . 008 thick that barrel is going to blow up. Period. Now if he meant . 080 that's probably right on the edge depending on how close the flutes extend to the chamber. Max pressure happens around 3 to 4 inches from chamber. But if he in fact has only
.008 barrel wall I would ask for a replacement barrel. But it seems this guy is not going to back up his work.
Shep

At . 008 thick that barrel is going to blow up. Period. Now if he meant . 080 that's probably right on the edge depending on how close the flutes extend to the chamber. Max pressure happens around 3 to 4 inches from chamber. But if he in fact has only
.008 barrel wall I would ask for a replacement barrel. But it seems this guy is not going to back up his work.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.