Savage .243

Savagebien

nothing special but it shoots great.
Savage 11GL in .243
Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40MD
and it loves 105 Amaxes! i've shot over 600 rounds this year since i started reloading in june, and can't get enough!

S5007512.jpg

here's a group i shot today at 425 yards! it measured 3 inches.

S5007560.jpg

Yeah its a pretty good shooting gun. The only down side is the bolt is on the wrong side. Darn lefties.

You say that but as a right handed shooter I thing I could get along quite well with a left handed bolt. It never made any sense to me why I should have to take my hand off of the grip/trigger. I guess its the single action shooter in me.

Savage, you'd better be careful or you'll end up needing a new barrel. I feel for ya I'm on 350 with my edge, 200 on my 243, 150 on a 6mm06 and 150 a piece on two different 300 RUM's since mid July. My wife is getting sick of it.

Love them 243's.

thats a ton of shooting! and those arent all as cheap to shoot as a .243!
by the way i just chrono'ed my load its right at 2800ft/s. i cant wait to get this thing a 6 AI bbl!

Maybe you just need a longer 243 barrel, you have the brass and other goodies already. My 243 with the 107SMK's is pushing them at 3050fps and let's just say that's plenty flat. I'd not recommend the 1-7 twist probably a bit too tight and liable to see little gray poofs about 30-50 yards out without hits on the target. Are you going to rebarrel the action you have now? might think about a long action with the 6mm, heck my 243 is on a long action and it a good thing the COL of the rounds is 2.90" .010" off the lands and if your looking at a repeater while they will you may have to do a little work to get the AI case to feed but on the short action and seating the bullets out there a repeater is probably not in the thinking. Glad to see another 243 shooter! Later,

Kirk

i'll use the same action, still up in the air about a specific 6mm round... i'll stick with this SA and im fine with a single shot, probly what i want to build it into, possibly a different stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.