My 243

landcbeitner

My new...I mean "old" rifle. A while back my dad gave me the 243 he got his first buck with (he was 10yrs old). 34 years later, I took my first buck with the same rifle (I was also 10yrs old). As you can imagine after many years of regular shooting the barrel on this rifle was completely worn out. Well, I picked it up from the smith last week, got to the range Saturday for some break-in time and already printed groups in the .3's (I was using ammo loaded by my father and grandfather at least 15 years ago). I can't wait to do some load development. Today I got out my airbrush and did some camo experimentation.

Remington 700 SA
Douglas 1:8 twist 6mm barrel (26")
Chambered in 243 win
Trigger set at 1.5 lbs.
HS Precision stock (700P take off)
Warne picatinny base
Burris Extreme Low rings
Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 Tactical

006-4.jpg

008-8.jpg

007-4.jpg

009-5.jpg

Your dad would be pleased that you have taken something of value to him and made it even more valuable. It is a piece of him and now a piece of you. Enjoy it.

Thanks guys! My son just turned six, and I hope he will take his first buck with this rifle as well. He's already a heck of a shot with his 22.

002-3.jpg

Love the rifle, I need to go shooting with you out there!!

Erik

I agree. Unfortunately it's still snowed in at our long range playground, waiting patiently. There's a 300yd competiton at Kenmore this saturday (be there at 8:00 if you want to shoot), it's $10 to enter and they provide the targets (cheapest way to shoot 300yds I know of). I'll use the 243 this time although it's not quite up to par with my 308 because I've had no time for load development before the match (so far my best 10 round group at 300yds is 1 1/4" with the 243). 300yds is a far cry from our shooting spot but, it'll have to do. I'd suggest you bring 70 rounds of ammo if you come out.

I should have checked this earlier and everyday, I would have wanted to come to at least watch, I dont think my hunting gun would do that great with the cheap simmons scope on it. I will start going once my rifles come in, which i still need to order soon, and get a change to shoot them. If you know of others in the future, feel free to email me the info, I check that everyday religously, [email protected]

Erik

Found a new spot to shoot yesterday and tested the 243 from 500yds to beyond 700yds. It took to long to find a place to shoot, so I didn't put out any eggs. I did what many arround here do and ranged and shot rocks. The 243 shoots nice and flat and bucks the wind very well, so it was almost too easy. I hit what I was aiming at with every shot including the cold bore (although I shoot at a rock that was around a foot in diamater). These were probably the best conditions I've ever shot in. The smallest rocks I shot at were arround the size of my fist. I changed yardages constantly to really test the scope out. The scope worked with out a flaw and tracked perfectly. After I shoot one rock 588yds away, 5 times in a row, my 6 year old son took a crack and hit it. He didin't like the recoil (although I think it was the "bang" since this rifle doesn't really kick). Here's some pics...

590Yds.jpg

015-1.jpg

009-7.jpg

012-3.jpg

Great! What elevation are you shooting at? My shooting spot is at 4000+ and I am still snowed in. So I'm making the hour and a half drive to shoot at a 1000 yard range.

I made it to the T.V. shoot, no prizes here. But, really enjoyed the day, and got a good laugh. I watched a small figured girl touch off a 50BMG and over she went, she was laughing and so was everyone else.

Thanks for sharing and good shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.