Savage 220 needs scope for aging eyes

Shimmy J

Just bought a new savage 220 bolt 20 ga slug gun and was wondering about the best option for a scope. Considering Nikon 2x7 32 with bdc reticle or possibly a leupold sbr scope any thoughts on which one would be best?

Recoil is pretty stout on those and more so for the 212. Nikon does a series of "Slughunter" scopes with BDC optimized for the slug characteristics Nikon SlugHunter/Shotgun Hunter | Hunting Rifle Scopes

I have a regular "Monarch" on mine and I don't use BDC reticles, but you could also consider the M223 2-8x32 BDC, the key thing is that the BDC version has a low profile target style turret marked in MOA. So you could make a drop chart that you clear tape to the stock of your gun, range the buck, dial up the elevation and aim dead on instead of needing to do holdover. One of the reasons I don't like the BDC reticle is that the aiming points are only "calibrated" at one particular magnification, usually maximum. Whereas with a decent turret (not hidden under a cover) you can just dial the correction and shoot.
M-223 2-8x32 with BDC 600 Reticle from Nikon
If you get the Non BDC you will find that the turret is marked in yards for a 223 bullet, useless for your needs.

Hi Andy and Westcliff. Thanks for the feed back. I'm finding a lot of useful info from this site. it's one of the best I've found.

I can help you out I think. I have both the leupold and Nikon slug scopes. Light gath ering, field of view, and ease on eyes all go to the Nikon. For the very fine long range 200 plus slight edge to the pold. I put my Nikon on a 870 slug gun for hunting under 100 yards, ammo choice is limiting. Pold is on my hr slughunter. For long distance. Hope this helps

I've put a conquest 3x9x40 on my 220 quite pleased with it. Always liked the clearity of the nikons just a bit Leary on their customer service should the need arise.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.