Savage 111 questions

ajstew32

New to the forum so bare with me... I got a savage 111 in a 270 wsm a couple weeks ago because my 300 in a tc venture was about to burn out( my fault) and my 223 in an axis is putting one hole @100( can't complain with that). Was trying to find a load/ bullet combo and wasn't getting good results. so i tried factory ammunition to see what it could do with that and got at best 1" groups. then went back to the reloads with a better seating depth and the casing wouldn't fit right. Found our than my ejector is not going in flush with my bolt face and is making grooves in the based as deep as the lettering.
Question 1- should I try to bed this rifle to get better accuracy?
Question 2- How should i fix my ejector problem? maybe build up behind it?
Question 3- should i get rid of it and try the TC in this cal? i like this cal as it is fast enough with an average bullet to put down deer out to 700(what my limit will be if i get the gun to shoot) and the recoil is like nothing.
I liked the TC but i shot it too much to fast. Money is tight now also

Welcome to LRH!

I would think you should be able to get that ejector fixed for free, if it's a new rifle. If not I don't think it's hard to figure out. Should be able to get schematics for the 110/111 bolt. Might be like you said and just a piece of trash or metal shaving in there with the spring. This might be causing the case to set a little sideways or even binding a little once chambered. Probably not an ideal situation for accuracy.

The .270WSM is a terrific cartridge, ballistically speaking. I had one a few years ago in a Win70 Coyote. Purty rifles but not tack drivers for sure. Mine would hoover around 3/4" on good days but usually ran 1MOA. I tried the 130gn Ballistic Tips, 135gn SMK and 140gn Ballistic Tips. Nothing really spectacular, just average. Always wished Remington or Savage would come out with one in a 26" heavy barrel amd aluminum bedding blocked stock. Even a Savage Long Range Hunter would be sshweet. Oh well, so much for my marketing ideas.

I would definately bed it or replace the stock. What brand of bullets are you trying to shoot in her? Bergers? JohnnyK.

Thanks for the reply johnny k! That would make sense why the accuracy might be failing but it wasn't the greatest when i first started shooting it. Its basically new but to get it fixed will take a fair bit of time and bear season is quite close so ill try cleaning it up. Ive gotten a 1" group with Accubonds but only going like 3050 fps which doesn't put much energy out a long range. I've tried 140 accubond, 150 ballistic tip, 140 set and 150 interbonds. The interbond were the last loads i tried before the problem stared happening and i forgot to mark the holes so i might have a load that had 3 in the same hole and one 3/4" left. could also be 2 touching, one of the the left and a flyer that i cannot find. Anyways these are only got about 2850 fps which isn't desirable when others are getting above 3000 in their rifles.

As for bedding i have some Devcon plastic steel on the way and will try bedding it when it comes. Its different though with the stock i have only having a back part for the recoil lug, nothing holding the front of it...

welcome to LRH.
I have a factory Tikka T3 lite in 270wsm and she is a tack Driver. .438 at 100,2" at 400 all with 140gr noz Bal tips.The 140 grains really work great. If you reload, try 61gr of RL19, Win brass, fed 215m primers. I would definitely keep the caliber. Flat, drops deer in their tracks. enjoy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.