Rough Savage 111 action

I have done 3 savage builds and one Stevens build and had only one like that. Replaced all bolt components with ptg after market parts, and swapped a bolt from a different model 10 that was smooth. Nothing fixed the issue. If you didn't place perfect straight force on the bolt it would skip bind or just bind until I pushed straight. Still have the barreled action, but gave up on it. I bought that action used and think the race ways are worn or were abused. I really liked my savages, and still have one, but after that experience, I decided to look at other actions.

Can1010: The website asks that I masure the ID if the bolt raceways and send them that measurement to they can cut the OD of the bolt body, is this what you mean? Seems like other than that a bolt body would be plug and play?

Jrock: you are correct, if I apply any force in ay direction that is not perfectly in line with the bore it gets rough and get even bind. Ill try some JB bore if you think that might help. And I would love a custom action, I assume I could get that threaded for the proof barrel I bought on it? That would be a interesting option.

KTP: it doesn't have a box magazine, just 3 round capacity in the stock. Ill check the feed lips.

I've never been around a Savage where I've thought to myself "man this thing is smooth" they're all pretty rough and gritty in my opinion.

question, does anybody understand the PTG notes about needing to fit their custom bolts?

off their website http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/sava...ing-rougher/3099-choose_finish-unfinished_raw

" Be Advised: Bolts may need to be fitted to receiver. The bolt locking-lugs will likely need to be trued to your receiver; a gunsmith would be required. You can purchase the fixture for locking-lug truing here."

from what i understand, the savage uses a floating bolt head so why would i need to true it? and im not replacing the bold head anyway, just swapping out the bolt bodies. assuming i simply measure the diameter i need what else is there to need sizing on?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts