Build off of a Savage 111 270 action

Majja13

Ok I have always wanted to build a rifle off of a savage action since I can do all the work. I have the opportunity to pick up a used 111 in 270 for under 200. I currently have 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 WM and a 270 (grand fathers BBR) so I want this to kind of be a Do all hunting rig that will shoot well and cover Antelope to Elk.

I was thinking of either a 6.5x284, 264 Win Mag and on. With the Elk in mind a long shot is maybe 400 yd's

I do reload. So what would you all suggest. I am open to other options if you have them as well nothing is set as I have not bought anything yet.

Majja

Ok I have always wanted to build a rifle off of a savage action since I can do all the work. I have the opportunity to pick up a used 111 in 270 for under 200. I currently have 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 WM and a 270 (grand fathers BBR) so I want this to kind of be a Do all hunting rig that will shoot well and cover Antelope to Elk.

I was thinking of either a 6.5x284, 264 Win Mag and on. With the Elk in mind a long shot is maybe 400 yd's

I do reload. So what would you all suggest. I am open to other options if you have them as well nothing is set as I have not bought anything yet.

Majja

How about a 6.5-06 AI? You don't see a lot of those floating around, which will make it unique in a sense, and there will be brass available for it forever and ever. A friend has one, and it's one hell of a round. Very accurate. It will beat a 6.5x284 by a bit in the velocity department.

I had 2 A.I.'s and they area great cartridge. They we're actually my incentive to design the Sherman. Look at it as the A.I. on steroids. It will outperform it by a good amount and uses the same brass.....rich

I had 2 A.I.'s and they area great cartridge. They we're actually my incentive to design the Sherman. Look at it as the A.I. on steroids. It will outperform it by a good amount and uses the same brass.....rich
That's awesome. Can you tell us a little bit more about the sherman? How do you go about getting the cases sized? Thanks.

Capacity is about 5 percent grater than an '06 A.I. it has less body taper and shoulder is forward. This is possible by using the 270 case so you still get a .300" neck. You just partial neck size and fire form like an A.I.

Do all hunting rig that will shoot well and cover Antelope to Elk.

Majja

While I agree the 6.5 Sherman is pretty sweet on paper (don't own one...yet! But thinking about it...)

Of you two choices I'd go 264wm. I just built one just before deer season started. And really it...accurate, mild recoil, and can push some heavy lead with authority!

Bolt head will have to be swapped, which is easy. My build also used to be a 270win.

Big plus is factory ammo exists...not on every shelf...but it's out there.

284win, 280, 280ai and keep your bolt face. If you don't want to add a 7mm to your mix I'd go w/ the 6.5x284 and get a fast enough barrel for the heavies coming out. I think the mag is excessive for 400yds, but you already have the best elk medicine in your safe.. 300wm. I'm not a fan of brass work, so conventional is convenient... no need to be wildcat different. Though on a straight hunting rig the shermans are very attractive, 50pc of brass should last you a good long while.

Of the two choices you mentioned I personally would go with 6.5x284. Bolt faces are extremely easy to swap. At $200 you can't really go wrong, the action by itself should be worth that.

A 6.5 Sherman would be fun though.

284win, 280, 280ai and keep your bolt face. If you don't want to add a 7mm to your mix I'd go w/ the 6.5x284 and get a fast enough barrel for the heavies coming out. I think the mag is excessive for 400yds, but you already have the best elk medicine in your safe.. 300wm. I'm not a fan of brass work, so conventional is convenient... no need to be wildcat different. Though on a straight hunting rig the shermans are very attractive, 50pc of brass should last you a good long while.

7mm might be fun. I do like my mag just looking at options.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.