Savage 110 DLH 300 Win Mag

Mustangp51d

Team I am in the planning stage for developing a hunting round using RL 22, Berger Hunting VLD 210. Winchester case and CCI primer.

I have seen a recipe for the 200gr VLD using RL22 and seen a recipe for 208gr using RL22.

Slower velocity heavy bullet is my goal for this hunting load, but would like a range of 500 - 600yards.

Could one of you direct me to a starting recipe for the Berger 210 round. I will be using a stock Savage Long Action 110 DLR, bedded with a 1:10 twist and 24" barrel.

Have a Redding Comp Seat die and a Lee Factory crimp die. All Winchester casings have been fire formed 3 time in the rifle.

Thanks, P51

You can email Berger and they'll send load data.

Or, you can find a similar bullet in your load manual and then start at minimum and work up watching for pressure signs. If they don't have data for a 210, then look at the data for the next heavier bullet.

I use 66.5g of RL22 with the 230g OTM and it's a very safe/conservative load in my rifle. I'm going to try H1000 to get the velocity up for some ELR plinking on the recommendation of Jeff/Broz.

500-600 yds should be no problem for 300WM using even minimal loads with a 210 Berger on most North American game.

-- richard

Thanks Richard,

Appreciate the guidance. I was going to use the Allient Powder Recipe for 208gr Hornady, but going up to the 220 grain bullet is a much better approach. I have liked what I read about the Berger VLD 210gr Hunting bullet, and most individuals are using the RL 22.

I too want to try the H1000, have two pounds of Rl 22 to finish off first.

Again, thank you for the insight.

P51

RL22 will be more than adequate for a 600 yd load.

The reason I suggested looking at the next heavier bullet is that you'll see that the upper limit for pressure occurs with slightly less powder as compared to a lighter bullet of the same design.

Keep in mind that weight alone isn't the only factor that affects pressure. Jacket material, bearing surface, seating depth, chamber, brass, etc are also factors. So, it's just a swag. In any case, you always want to be conservative. Start low and work up.

Be safe and happy hunting!
Richard

Thanks again Richard:

As a part of my preparation for working up a load, I generally start about 10% less than the max, unless its lower than the recipe. If lower than recipe, then I start at the lowest value in the recipe.

I am just getting into long range hunting, and the variables are numerous for the hunt, as well as developing a load.

In SC, most of my hunting has been 100yrds or less. My Grandaughter uses my lever action Marlin 30/30 and I use my Marlin 444.

Next for the next season, I may be able to hunt some 6,000 acres of flat parie in eastern Colorado, antelope. May also get into the Sangre De Cristo Mountains for an elk. I am thinking I may want a bit heavier bullet for the elk. I have taken them with my Marlin 444 with a 265gr bullet at about 150 yards. My Zero Zero was 100yrds, and was about 3" high from the center of the kill zone. He went down and never got up. Great Fair chase hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.