110 gr vmax out of a .300 win mag

Well thanks guys , Ihave used the info you gave me and loaded and shot a ladder test with the 110 vmax. Keep in mind that this test is not as conclusive as it could be simply because I did not use fresh components with cases neck sized only . What I did was to take some 10 yr. old loaded rounds pull the bullet , chuck the powder , dump a ladder test in the cases then reseat the bullets to the rifling seat length in my new LSR 300 winnie.Cases had been fired 3 or 4 times and full length sized with RCBS dies each time.So, they probably (the cases ) have a lot of issues at that point. Don't know for sure as I don't have my Neco case guage yet( but it's on it's way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif).

Anyway, I said I would let you all know how it went with these little pills, so, here it is.
Jim [image]http://
c592dd59.jpg
[/image] [image]http://
ba1a5487.jpg
[/image]

#7 would be good ,thing is 8,9,10, probably would be good too when you consider driver error ,gusts of wind( note that wind was coming from the target to me slightly quartering). I am going to try 76.0 grs in the next phase of development.
Jim

Ok,

Finally got the pic to load . This is the culmination of the ladder for the 110vmax , whhooiee and at 3600fps at that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif [image]
a789a1b6.jpg
[/image]"]smkshttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/hisgrace/a789a1b6.jpg[/IMG][/image][/url] [image]
a789a1b6.jpg
[/image]

Hi,

I load and shoot 110 V-max in my .300 win mag Sako TRG 42. I predominantly use it in my .308 for deer. I wanted to know how it would perform in the .300 and it certainly impressed.

I have been using both calibres for head and neck shooting deer. The V-max is unsuitable IMO for body shooting deer as it doesnt penetrate deeply enough, is too fragmentational and damages too much of the carcass.

If anyone is interested I can post my load data on these two calibres. My mate also uses the 110 Vmax in his .270 for the same job. The performance is equally as effective.

G'day guys, getting a 300 win mag going with 110vmax myself.

Here is what i loaded:

110gr vmax
70grains AR2208 (varget i believe)
cci standard primer
3.340 (saami spec OAL)
expected velocity would be around 3550fps

What do you reckon?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Re: 110 gr vmax out of a .300 win mag

70gr of H414 (imagine that, another h-powder in my stable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) makes mine pile into little clusters. Loaded to a length of 3.424. Thats 3.869 with the SP gauge. Velocity runs 3430 from my 26" barrel. Not super fast, but with a 300yd zero, it stays within 2.4" from the muzzle to 400yds. Makes a great load for point and shoot (aka no clicks) varmint shooting. Nasty medicine for yotes I guarantee.

110 Vmax @3420 with 300 yard zero at 2000 ft ele. gets you almost 9" low at 400. lightbulb

Wow....just noticed the date on this thread!! Someone woke up an OLDIE!! LOL

Re: 110 gr vmax out of a .300 win mag

Yep and with 1st post. :D

I'm digging this topic up for its 2nd resurrection. We have a lot of groundhogs terrorizing the garden. Seems like it would be fun using the 110 vmax in my Win Mag. Someone said that they vaporize a prarie dog. What about the larger groundhogs?

Nothing wrong with rekindling an old conversation if there's renewed interest in participating, which there seems to be. I'm relatively new on this site as well, but in the past I have indeed done this in a 300 win mag. Not the vmax, just the 110 grain hornady spire point varmint bullet (same thing, just not tipped). Not very accurate I'm afraid, between the big jump and the 10 twist and the difficulty getting tight es numbers (common with light bullets in big cases) it wasn't viable for varminting accuracy. Got it up to around 3700 with imr4350 compressed. Huuuuge fireball and boom. Very very satisfying to shoot assorted produce that was not fit for eating anymore (a pineapple, some apples, a watermelon, a cantaloupe, frost bitten pumpkins and zucchini). Mist in the air and chunks everywhere! Pieces of melon smacking the roof of my dad's barn 50 feet away.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.