110 gr vmax out of a .300 win mag

Jimm

Hey guys ,

Any body out there have any info to share regarding this bullet out of the .300 winnie? It is so short that you have to seat it .1 off to have sufficient bullet in the case neck ( I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif). My twist is 11 so I thought I might try out this forlorn box of little high speed buggers out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seems to me there is a ton of jump involved here , but hey! I'm trying to not decide results before I investigate. Thanks for your help,
Jim B.

I tried some 110 grain sierra varminters in my .308. they were suprisingly accurate. Weren't as explosive as I had hoped and had a really hard time hitting anything 300 yards and beyond with any sort of wind. Maybe the V-max is a better choice. I'll stick with my 175 matchkings though.

70gr of H414 (imagine that, another h-powder in my stable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) makes mine pile into little clusters. Loaded to a length of 3.424. Thats 3.869 with the SP gauge. Velocity runs 3430 from my 26" barrel. Not super fast, but with a 300yd zero, it stays within 2.4" from the muzzle to 400yds. Makes a great load for point and shoot (aka no clicks) varmint shooting. Nasty medicine for yotes I guarantee.

Jim B.

The 110 V-max has provided a lot of fun for me also. Shot several hundred through my 300 Winmag at pds just this summer. Have shot a couple thousand of them so far. In my testing (of the lightest 30 cal. bullets) the V-max was the most accurate in my rifle.

Keep them below 3700 fps. Above that you can get some to come apart. Had one come apart in the muzzle break, that was interesting. I am loading 78 gr. of IMR 4350. Nice mild load. You absolutely can't believe what they do to pds at close range. The ones that are laying on the mound facing you when you get them with a direct hit will leave only scraps of fur and a 10 foot cone of red mist behind the mound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Abinok , Waltech Jim,

Thanks for the info. I have a ladder test using IMR 4350 ready to go , it goes up to 79 grs. Let y'all know how they do in a 11 twist.

Jim B.

Adam,

3.424 col in my rig would be 20 thou into the rifling. It would also have only .125 of the bullet in the case neck. , Is this right ? or am I making a math booboo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I used the sinclair tool to determine length touching rifling and have done it several times with diff bullets of the 110 vmax lot.
Just wondering because I've never had so small amount of the bullet in the neck. thanks for your answer,

Jim B.

Yep, .125 sounds about right. I laid a bullet next to the loaded round, and its not much for sure. I think I was using .003" on the neck sizing and the tension was good. No runout problems. I know it goes against everything youve ever heard about having one caliber in the case, but from the targets, you will probably never know.
Just for referance, My reduced load using the 90gr XTP has even less in the case than this load and still runs fine!

Haven't tried them in the 300 win but they shot really well out iof my .308 stealth they blow bunny rabbit's right to pieces.. Also my best freind was shooting them with some succes out of his 300 ultra mag they were quite accurate in his rifle out to 100 yards but the groups seemed to really open up past 200 I used 46 grains of varget in the 308 probably not the most efficent load but it seemed to work..

I shoot the V-max out of my .300 WM 112bvss with a weighted Choate stock (22lbs)10-40x-50ao tasco. Range of 1-330 yds makes messes of PDs. Be very careful of the excitement, as barrel heats up fast. Shoot a few then go check the mess.

The load is once shot Winchester brass, neck sized with 78 grs of imr4350 and Federal large rifle gold medal match primers. I seat the bullet 0.3 inch into the neck. My Nosler #5 manual (pg.43)gave me the seating idea. Not seating these light bullets deep enough makes them shoot all over in my rifle. Hope this works as well as it works for me. 125gr Ballistic Tips work well too but cost is more and mess is less. Does not fragment as well.

Jim,
Its .007" off the lands at that length.
In my best Yoda impression.... "the erosion is strong with this one hmmm"

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.