Savage 110 build help?? Suggestions???

Mthomas

Alright I am new here and could use some help on a savage 110 that I would like to re-barrel. I have never changed barrels on a savage but I am pretty confident that I can do it, but I would not be opposed to sending it to a good gunsmith.

Right now the gun is 300 win mag. I first thought I would just get a bigger longer barrel so it would be better to shoot, but I have recently been thinking about a 6.5 caliber, or any good shooting caliber for that matter, not a .308... I have never shot a real heavy 300, my light weight one kicks hard enough that its not very fun for me to shoot... I have plans to one day shoot 800-1000 yards, so I am thinking at least 6mm.

I would like suggestions on everything, not just caliber, like triggers, stock, barrel make etc.

Thanks for any help!

There are so many different calibers out there to chose. The 6.5x284 is great for shooting and has mild recoil but the brass is high priced. It like pulling the trigger on a weatherby every time. I have the 6.5x284 and paid 150 for a box of 100 laupa brass. Now with that being said I have 10 reloads on some of the brass so this does bring the price down. If you are looking at something that still has plenty of volicity the 264 win mag is great shooting a 140 berger. I am basically doing the same thing right now and I went with a 7mm Rem mag. Less recoil than the 300 but still get to 1000yrds with no problem and they are tried and true tack drivers as long as they a put together right but you are using a savage action so its a good chance with screwing on another barrel and some hand loads you will have a 1/2 moa gun. My 6.5 is a savage also and its a .5moa gun with handloads. It might be even better but I stopped tweeking once I got to the .5moa shooting all the time. In order to get some good volicity out of the 6.5 you need a 26 more like a 28 or longer barrel. A lot of people load over max and get some higher volicities with the lapua brass because the brass is stronger. I'm running at 2842fps with mine. This is max stated load by hodgens of the hybrid 100V. But it shoots good and has a very low ES in my gun. vloicity range in the bullets are around 10fps max. I shot 264 and they kick about like a 3006 with a 165 grain bullet to me. Well this is my 2 cents.gun)

I was sitting on an older 110 in 7mm and was in the same boat - what to do with it. I eventually decided to go big and found a 30" .338 Edge barrel from McGowen to use. And like you I though I could probably do the work myself, but not having the necessary tools I thought it would simply be easier to take to my gunsmith. Plus, I bought a muzzlebrake and had him install that when he was done.

The .300RUM brass has been relatively easy to find, H1000 hasn't been too awful to find, and 300g Bergers seem to pop up often enough that I haven't had any downtime trying to find load components.

Go big or go home!! :D This would make your 800-1000 yard goal relatively easy to achieve.

Am I mistaken, or can you fire form some case to work in the 6.5x284?

I spoke to someone from shilen and they said with a mag action I need to stick with a mag caliber. Has anybody ever heard this? I was planning on changing the bolt face if I went away from a mag.

I am leaning more towards something with not so much recoil as a .300 mag. Does a .264 still use a mag bolt face.

Thanks,
Michael

Am I mistaken, or can you fire form some case to work in the 6.5x284?

I spoke to someone from shilen and they said with a mag action I need to stick with a mag caliber. Has anybody ever heard this? I was planning on changing the bolt face if I went away from a mag.

I am leaning more towards something with not so much recoil as a .300 mag. Does a .264 still use a mag bolt face.

Thanks,
Michael

You are correct in your assumption. Just change out the bolt face for the size of cartridge you are chambering for. Both my brothers have mag Savages that are chambered for 6br. Just make sure you tell the barrel mfc the shank size and it's all good.

And yes, the 264 win mag uses a magnum bolt face of .532"

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.