custom build help or suggestions..

joebut1985

Hello and good day long rang hunting forum. So I have to say that I am excited to being doing my first custom build. I have already ordered my action, Defiance deviant hunter, and am planning on building a 7mm. I am torn between doing a 7mm rem mag or a 28 nosler. Originally I was wanting something that would not burn out barrels as easy but that 28 nosler keeps calling me back. I have some time with the action to make changes, as of right now they are 5 1/2 months out. I am trying to keep the gun under/right at 8lbs without scope. Barrel selection would be a bartlein #3 set at 26 or 28" with 1:8 twist. Im planning on shooting the 195 or 180 grn berger bullets. So my question would be, do you guys or gals have any suggestions for doing a custom build. This is my first one and I really don't want to make any mistakes. Also do you have any smiths that you would recommend. I really don't trust any of the smiths where I live(have had bad experiences), so everything is going to be shipped off once I receive it.

Thanks,
Joe

I know a great smith who can help you with everything. PM me for details.

Personally your target weight is a little scary for me w/ 28nos pushing 195's, but I'm sure it would be manageable w/ a brake. I however do not care to use a brake so my vote would go to the 7mag in a carbon stock either manners or mcmillan. Since you're going to use a lighter contour barrel I'd keep it at 24-25" to stiffen it up some, thats just me tho.

Hello and good day long rang hunting forum. So I have to say that I am excited to being doing my first custom build. I have already ordered my action, Defiance deviant hunter, and am planning on building a 7mm. I am torn between doing a 7mm rem mag or a 28 nosler. Originally I was wanting something that would not burn out barrels as easy but that 28 nosler keeps calling me back. I have some time with the action to make changes, as of right now they are 5 1/2 months out. I am trying to keep the gun under/right at 8lbs without scope. Barrel selection would be a bartlein #3 set at 26 or 28" with 1:8 twist. Im planning on shooting the 195 or 180 grn berger bullets. So my question would be, do you guys or gals have any suggestions for doing a custom build. This is my first one and I really don't want to make any mistakes. Also do you have any smiths that you would recommend. I really don't trust any of the smiths where I live(have had bad experiences), so everything is going to be shipped off once I receive it.

Thanks,
Joe

If you are worried about barrel life but don't want to sacrifice performance, you might want a 7SS. You can reach nearly 3100' in a 26" barrel with the 180's in a short action with a coal under 3".......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.