Same Load with a New Barrel?

Unless its cut with the same reamer i doubt it will be the same. Even saami spec can be different from one reamer maker to the next, that's why its best to start with new brass on a new chamber.

Unless its cut with the same reamer i doubt it will be the same. Even saami spec can be different from one reamer maker to the next, that's why its best to start with new brass on a new chamber.
If it is a saami chamber and dies, should be able to full length size and not have to throw away brass.

Steve

start back from "normal".

I usually agree with L.Sherm, but if you have relatively new or high quality brass at least pull your firing pin and see if the bolt falls closed on a "sized round" (I'll leave that to you to decide whether full or neck but I'd go full...) and fire form/work from there.

I didn't mean to have to word "usually" in there, but my aforementioned method has worked well for me to check dies/brass/chamber....not that it's right.

So it seems that my custom sizing die is garbage too?:(
If you're going to get a custom made barrel it can be chambered to match your die.

If you're buying a normal aftermarket barrel it may or may not work.

It will probably be ok but there's no way to be certain without precise measurements.

I have had 3 Win Model 70 rifles chambered in 338WM, NOT ONE had the same throat length as each other.
My newest purchase, a FN/Herstel made Extreme Weather has the shortest throat of all 3, a 250gr Partition has to be seated so short it looks silly sitting in the case.
All 3 have had to have a re-work in regard to loads as pressure in my pressure trace II showed significant increases with the shorter seating depths. Each rifle has had a shorter throat than the previous one.

I am going to have this rifle re-throated to the same length as my previous rifle so hopefully I can run similar loads.
At least my old brass still chambered, there is only .002" between the 3 in head to shoulder dimension, which is a win/win.

Cheers.
;)

Yep start over. It is a pain but you will get the best results in the end taking the slightly longer route. Take what you learned already and apply it to working up the new load.

Ingwe, The new barrel, will it be cut with exact same reamer? Same smith? I have my own reamers for 3 diff cartridges. When I rebarrel I use same barrel/twist and same smith. I use same loads, just double check jump length.

If you're going to get a custom made barrel it can be chambered to match your die.

If you're buying a normal aftermarket barrel it may or may not work.

It will probably be ok but there's no way to be certain without precise measurements.

This is what I would do. The Smith should be able to cut your chamber to match your die. I would have a talk with him to see for sure what he needs but should be able to do it with 2-3 dummy rounds made from your fired and sized brass, maybe he'll want the die too.

Now this still doesn't mean your old load will be the load for your new setup but your die should be a perfect match to your chamber just as much as if you did it the other way around.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.