Same Load with a New Barrel?

Ingwe

Hello Fellas,
I have been reloading for several years now so I still have allot to learn which will be obvious after reading this post;)

Here it goes: I have a carefully worked-up load for my 7mm Rem Mag which is right at maximum but with no obvious signs of over pressure. I had a custom sizing die made and I still have ton's of fire-formed brass and loaded ammo for it too. I am however, getting to the point where I am going to soon need a new barrel. So here's my question: If I get the same make barrel, length, etc. with the same twist rate as well, can I still use this load in the new barrel or do I need to start from scratch again?:(

Whatdaya think??

If the load is not max you can try it but it is recommended that you reduce the load by at least a grain or two to be safe. Just load 2 or 3 with 1/2 grain difference and start low to see if you load will work in the new barrel.

You can even load 10 rounds for break in with the first load being 2 grains of powder less and increase in 1/2 grain increments. this way you can break the barrel in and at the same time work up to your old load safely. Stop shooting if you see any pressure signs.

Changing barrels is like changing bullets or powder, it may or may not effect the accuracy of the load. don't expect it to shoot the same with a new barrel and your tried and true load. If it does Great If it doesn't, you will have eliminated one load in the pursuit of accuracy and jot a good start on break-in

J E CUSTOM

Standard SAAMI chamber? Nothing different about the neck diameter or lead? If there is no change in the reamer back off as previously meantioned and work back up as you break in. If there are any changes you will want to back off 10-12% and play it safe. It's never socially acceptable to wear any part of your rifle on or in your face. Besides who wants to take a chance and cut a safety corner with a 'new' rifle

That is what i have seen. Custom rifle builders using the same components can often give load development that is very very close to the same.

Can't say much more than JE. New barrel=new rifle. You don't have to start completely over but should back off. Heck new barrel may not like the same stuff as the old one but will probably be pretty close.
Steve

+1! Re-barreling means different to other end-users, mine is about opportunity. If "I" am going to re-barrel, it would be something different than the original, i.e., different groove and twist and try the new bullet offerings out there.

+1! Re-barreling means different to other end-users, mine is about opportunity. If "I" am going to re-barrel, it would be something different than the original, i.e., different groove and twist and try the new bullet offerings out there.
You are in it for the adventure. Rhat is what it is all about.

Steve

Thanks so much for the advice fellas!

I assumed that a new barrel meant a new load but I just wanted to be sure

One of the things that fascinates me about reloading is stuff like this....make even the most minute change and it effects your load.

Could be in what I call the universal node.
The Fed Gold Medal Match 168 grain comes to mind.
There is a node that may not be the best in every rifle, but pretty close.
Either way, I would work back up from a safe charge.
There's a lot more to than that, but companies are able to tune a load to work very well in several rifles, no reason we couldn't stumble upon one ourselves..

Hello Fellas,
I have been reloading for several years now so I still have allot to learn which will be obvious after reading this post;)

Here it goes: I have a carefully worked-up load for my 7mm Rem Mag which is right at maximum but with no obvious signs of over pressure. I had a custom sizing die made and I still have ton's of fire-formed brass and loaded ammo for it too. I am however, getting to the point where I am going to soon need a new barrel. So here's my question: If I get the same make barrel, length, etc. with the same twist rate as well, can I still use this load in the new barrel or do I need to start from scratch again?:(

Whatdaya think??

So it seems that my custom sizing die is garbage too?:(

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.