Sako trg (used) vs Remington milspec 5r

I have a 5r, it's on my avatar pic. I agree, 308 is better for target practice...but it's a trg.

If you go with the 5r you get the excellent xmark pro trigger, clearly a plus and the ergonomically superior stock.(sarcasm)

Lol I changed both the stock and trigger on mine

I have a 5r, it's on my avatar pic. I agree, 308 is better for target practice...but it's a trg.

If you go with the 5r you get the excellent xmark pro trigger, clearly a plus and the ergonomically superior stock.(sarcasm)

Lol I changed both the stock and trigger on mine
I will agree with this... The stocks are not for everyone, I also am not a huge fan, but I have learned to shoot the newer HS stocks (huge palmswell). And I always immediately swap out the XMP trigger for something else. The XMP is garbage, but a cheap $120 Timney will make a world of difference.

but, if we're swapping the trigger and stock right away, you're probably looking at another 5-700 right up front. that seems to put the ball in the TRG court rather decisively. also, he quoted the price in EUROS, which may severely limit his access to high quality aftermarket prices, depending on location. I take the TRG for the lower cost, shoot out the 300WM barrel, then go with a more friendly target caliber, maybe a 6.5 of some sort. You can also get a new bolt for the trg, if you wanted to go with a smaller base caliber.

but, if we're swapping the trigger and stock right away, you're probably looking at another 5-700 right up front. that seems to put the ball in the TRG court rather decisively. also, he quoted the price in EUROS, which may severely limit his access to high quality aftermarket prices, depending on location. I take the TRG for the lower cost, shoot out the 300WM barrel, then go with a more friendly target caliber, maybe a 6.5 of some sort. You can also get a new bolt for the trg, if you wanted to go with a smaller base caliber.
Not really, you can sell the factory HS stock for about $300, so you're actually only going to be up about another $200 or so.

Also, there is no such thing as a "target-friendly" 6.5mm magnum cartridge. The TRG's magnum bolt face really puts a ****er on things. Unless he can buy a new bolt & mag setup, and I imagine for a rifle that expensive, it would cost nearly $1000 to swap those, plus you'd have to have the bolt headspaced to his action, so add gunsmithing fees in there, as well.

6.5 GAP 4S and 6.5 PRC were designed from the ground up as target rounds , I'd say they qualify as target friendly 6.5 magnums .

A TRG doesn't need anything replaced or modified to shoot as well or potentially much better than any factory Remington . It's a simple reality that Remington stocks, triggers and most of their barrels will be something that gets changed quickly once the lower price grin wears off .

6.5 GAP 4S and 6.5 PRC were designed from the ground up as target rounds , I'd say they qualify as target friendly 6.5 magnums .

A TRG doesn't need anything replaced or modified to shoot as well or potentially much better than any factory Remington . It's a simple reality that Remington stocks, triggers and most of their barrels will be something that gets changed quickly once the lower price grin wears off .

everyone is different; my vote is for TRG. Although i am biased, never owned a remington in any shape or form so there you go. it seems strange to me to know that some component needs to be replaced or fixed right off the bat. to me that reflects poor craftsmanship and quality.

L:rolleyes:L! Wait for it ..............................................................................................

5R Milspec. Cheaper, and will shoot just as good, maybe better. Most saying the TRG have never shot a 5R Milspec. The other half just hear ".300WM" and immediately push you in that direction because it's the "in" cartridge right now (this coming from someone who owns BOTH cartridges...Ironically, both are 5R Milspecs).

Here's what a stock factory 5R Milspec .308 Win can do with handloads...

3-shot group...

View attachment 93623

24-shots (hot-lap, no breaks), 1.286" group. If you tried that with a .300WM it would get so hot that it would burn half the throat out.

View attachment 93624

5R .308 Win (left), 5R .300WM (right)...

View attachment 93625

Owning a few Remington Milspec's, I wouldn't classify them as a "run of the mill" Remington 700, and would not throw them into the same bucket. The barrels/chamber are handled independently from the standard fare 700's. All four I have owned in both 308 and 300WM produced accuracy/precision comparable(.25-.5MOA) to the Sako TRG's I have shot, I would agree the TRG is without question a nice rifle! At +3X the price of the Sako over the Milspec, the components, workmanship, and quality is expected to be superior! Performance/price=value

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.