sako TRG 22 on elk?

223dude

I'm going rifle Elk hunting this fall for the first time .
and I'm wondering if I should use my sako trg22. in 308 win.

Whats the max range you would shoot an elk with this rig?

The gun--sako trg22

the glass--nightforce 5.5x22-56

the ammo hornady 168gr BTHP---or what would you use?

Thanks for any info.

Ive used a 308 on our red deer with great success out to 500 yards havent shot one any further than that .There a good bit smaller than an elk maybe 100 kilos average sometimes a little larger.
A chest shot withh a 155 smk has always worked well am sure you could take stuf slot further with a 308 but i have no first hand experience of that 550 is my limit at the moment and thats in ideal conditions.
The 155 smk always exits and leaves a good blood trail.

I think the best way to answer this question is to determine the minimum opening velocity of your bullet and see how far your 308 will maintain that velocity. Probably not much farther than 500 yds in a 308.

Next to consider is what type of shot. Double lung, shoulder, brisket, etc., and what type of bullet and performnce. For longer shots, with smaller bullets, I would only opt for double lung shots.

Hopefully you've chosen a part of CO where you can actually SEE the elk that far away -- otherwise you're over-scoped. The one elk hunt I was on in Colorado, the elk stayed in the trees... we had to bugle them in or stalk them, and had only shots of 75 yards or less... I was sweating a bit with my big scope and long barrel.

You might want to have a smaller scope set up on QR mounts as a backup if trees are a possibility.

Sako

I'd rather have a more useful Nighforce 2.5-10x24mm on that Sako for hunting than such an heavy overscoped optic.

10X and even less will allow you to shoot very far with a 308. Personally I think your rifle is way overscoped considering that your using an 308 for hunting.

Your scope is criteria for the 338 Lapua or 338 Allen.

I'tl work, but your 308 is the limiting factor in range. Why such a large optic?

have any other hunting rifles. yours will work but its heavy.if you use the 308 limit your shots to 400 yds. your scope even though its high powered will work fine any where any time.change to a Barnes 165 gr. tripple shock x bullet boatail,another winner for sure. test your shooting skills with out using the bench, hunting is not target shooting ,prone,sitting,kneeing ,etc. etc.
elk are big animals turn that scope Power down accordingly,welcome to the forum and have a great hunt. regards

Thanks for the advice guys. I got the NF for $1200 I could not help it:D

I just got back from a 2 mile hike with my trg22.
Last time I do that:eek: its only 13lbs but damm.

So I just bought a tikka t3 stainless in 270wsm.
and I have a leupold MK4 m3 MLR 3.5x10-40 sitting in
the safe.

The tikka is 6.4lbs and the m3 is 1.2lbs
I hope this is more packable.

PS Dose the 270wsm kick more or less then 308?

Thanks

good on you. yes it kicks more but you will not feel it when shooting at game. send me a pm iv'e got some load info for your new toy!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.