SAKO 75 Deluxe - 7mm STW

G

Hello all ...
I'm new to the page, great to meet you all ...
I have some questions regarding the rifle mentioned above, hope I can get some great info, suggestions ... etc ...
First of all, how bad is the recoil for the 7mm STW? I've heard it's great punishment, the recoil is quite bad even for the average hunter. Considering I'm smaller than the average @ 5'8" and 160lbs, should I look at a different caliber? I plan on hunting mostly whitetail, some elk, mountain goat, and possibly some larger game.
The Sako deluxe is a beautiful game, has anyone shot one ... if so, what do you all think? With the 7mm STW being such a high speed bullet, is there concern for barrel life? The sako is also a **** expensive gun, so I want it to last!
Thirdly, I want to mount a Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5X16.5 44 scope. Anyone have any experience w/ this scope, any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreicated. How does Nikon compare to Leupold?

Thanks all!!

I have a 7STW. Bulit on a rem 700 action, kreiger 26", and Mcmillan Remington Hunter Stock.

I love it! Using the 140 Grain you can take any of the game you mentioned.

Recoil is not bad at all. I'm 6"2 275 but my buddy is 5'8" 160 and he had no problems at all.

I use the barnes 140's but I'm not shooting past 500 yards so 1 MOA is fine for me.

If you are shooting longer try the cauterucio 156's but make sure you have a 9 twist.

Best of luck

I have a 7STW. Bulit on a rem 700 action, kreiger 26", and Mcmillan Remington Hunter Stock.

I love it! Using the 140 Grain you can take any of the game you mentioned.

Recoil is not bad at all. I'm 6"2 275 but my buddy is 5'8" 160 and he had no problems at all.

I use the barnes 140's but I'm not shooting past 500 yards so 1 MOA is fine for me.

If you are shooting longer try the cauterucio 156's but make sure you have a 9 twist.

Best of luck

Unfortunately both rifles feature a 1:9.5 twist, not nearly ideal for the heavier bullets! Might just have to stick with the 300 win. I am just looking for something a bit flatter with higher BC bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.