7mm STW Initial Load Accuracy

ADMIN

Administrator
Just wanted to share my findings with you guys in my lemon of a LR Rifle.

My uncle gave me a Win 70 7mm Rem Mag re-chambered to 7mm STW and told me that if I could get it to shoot well I could keep it.
Well, my first problem was that it was a single shot. The guy who re-chambered the barrel didn't change the magazine so it was load once, fire, load once fire. Not overly practical for hunting. Anyway, $50 later, I get the rifle back and load up for it. This is the most accurate load I've found so far.

Brass: A-Square (de-burred flash hole and uniformed primer pocket)
Primer: Federal 215
Bullet: Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip
Powder: RL 19
Charge 72.0 grains
OAL: 3.500 inches
Distance: 100 yards

(5) 5-shot groups shot under 0.5 inches. Three of these were .375 inches.

I was quite impressed. However, I'll probably try the Hornady A-Max Bullets or Sierra Match Kings to see how they'll do. More importantly, I'll be taking them out to 700 yards to see how they perform.

I'm also working on my Rem 700 Sendero in 7 RUM so I'll get back with you on that as well.

In the meantime, good shooting!

I would try a slower powder in your rifle. I have really good results with RL-22 and RL-25. Other shooting buddies have used IMR-7828 with good results. My brother is shooting H-1000 in his 7STW.

Good luck.

Try the Berger 180 grain vld behind 74.5 grains of H1000 loaded to the lands.
3100 fps is what I'm getting though my barrel is 34 inches and a 1:9.5 twist. Long range accuracy is supurb.
I tried some of the Lost River 162 grain bullets and theres a post on it here do a search for 7mm STW and see if you cant find it. I was getting between 3400 and 3500 with them but accuracy at 200 yards wasnt what I was looking for maybe theyll will work for you?
Dave

Troy and Dave,

Thanks for the suggestions on the STW recipe. I purchased some H1000 for my 7 Ultra loads, which I have yet to work up and will try it for the STW as well.

Most of the guys I've talked with here locally agree that the RL 22 and RL 25 have done the best for them. Got some RL 22 for yet another project, so I'll give it a try.

Thought about Berger VLD's but they don't come cheap. Probably use up my stock of AMAX and Match Kings First to see how they do.

I'll be in touch!

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts