Saddle scabbards & target-turrets

Randy ; awesome looking work. I do a fair amont of leather work for myself. I'm a timber Faller and arborist. . My work isn't nearly as nice as yours but I make it as rugged as possible because of the extreme rough use. It sounds like you guys need to use those long range rifles on the wolf population.

Again, very nice! !

Good thread! Transporting a rifle is challenging, bush plane, boat, ATV, horseback, or on foot. Sometimes on the same trip. I've always tried to keep the scope up, more what I was taught than a hard fast rule. I don't recall a trip where the guides tack included a scabbard for 26" plus a break. An odd 26" with luck.

Jim,
You have the outside leather, then the the aluminum which will be about the size of the scope, then the neoprene, and finally the lining leather which will be next to your rifle and scope. All would be cemented with barge cement which is waterproof itself. My idea of adding the thin neoprene would be for shock absorption as well as waterproofness. Most quality holsters have a lining inside to protect the finish. I used to be a deputy sheriff for a large sheriffs department and I made alot of holsters for the guys using the aluminum support in between the leathers and I have never known them to wear out---and we drew our sidearms alot. I found a photo at work of a scabbard I did for my brother. This is what the finish looks like with neatsfoot oil. This is a rem 700, 338 ultra with a regular leupold on it. What I will do for the bigger scopes with target turrets is after I get the scabbard all cemented, I'll wet the leather, mold the scope turret areas and it will hold the "pouch" so to speak as it dries but the aluminum will add to the structure of the "pouch." His rifle is a number 4 contour but I can make the scabbard bigger for bigger rifles. As long as the cow is big enough, I can make it.

Randy

Randy, those are good lookin' scabbards for-sure. I actually drove out to a local guys shop this afternoon hoping to have something similar measured-out & made-up.. got there to find the leather he needs is backordered (Latigo leather) and he isn't sure when it'll be in. I actually took some leather coarses (coincidentally) "wayy-back-when" through 4-H growing-up. Came home to dig around in the garage tonight and found myself a good chunk of hide left over from long long ago in an old tote!! It isn't latigo leather, and that's obviously a plus because I can tool-in design and lettering of whatever I wish.. so right on

Question I got for-you is regarding that barge cement and the lining you've got inside those scabbards.. am I correct assuming you've got some kinda deer-skin or moose-hide or something sewn-in on the inside? I didn't even think of it til re-reading your post, but a layer of softer leather like that is actually a real good idea for a bit of padding and probably soft enough to be easier on both the rifle & the scopes finish! ...have I got you right with-that, is there deer-hide or moose layering in-there??

And where exactly do you get such a thing as barge-cement anyway? ..and how much are you using to bond the two layers of leather? Have you got to rough-up the back-side in any-way for a better bond, or dampen it a little or what???

I think I'm gonna get right at this thing actually.. I didn't really see asking about scabbards and turrets going quite this direction, haha, but it's ironically re-kindled an old art from my past I honestly did-not expect it to!

I appreciate all you guys' replies*

Randy, those are good lookin' scabbards for-sure. I actually drove out to a local guys shop this afternoon hoping to have something similar measured-out & made-up.. got there to find the leather he needs is backordered (Latigo leather) and he isn't sure when it'll be in. I actually took some leather coarses (coincidentally) "wayy-back-when" through 4-H growing-up. Came home to dig around in the garage tonight and found myself a good chunk of hide left over from long long ago in an old tote!! It isn't latigo leather, and that's obviously a plus because I can tool-in design and lettering of whatever I wish.. so right on

Question I got for-you is regarding that barge cement and the lining you've got inside those scabbards.. am I correct assuming you've got some kinda deer-skin or moose-hide or something sewn-in on the inside? I didn't even think of it til re-reading your post, but a layer of softer leather like that is actually a real good idea for a bit of padding and probably soft enough to be easier on both the rifle & the scopes finish! ...have I got you right with-that, is there deer-hide or moose layering in-there??

And where exactly do you get such a thing as barge-cement anyway? ..and how much are you using to bond the two layers of leather? Have you got to rough-up the back-side in any-way for a better bond, or dampen it a little or what???

I think I'm gonna get right at this thing actually.. I didn't really see asking about scabbards and turrets going quite this direction, haha, but it's ironically re-kindled an old art from my past I honestly did-not expect it to!

I appreciate all you guys' replies*

Rooster, I get my barge by the gallon but you can also get it by the quart. I usually get mine through Weaver leather. I use pigskin for the lining leather---it is soft and tough and I love elk and deer hides but they don't work very well for lining. And you can also use whichever side you wish but yes, the rough out works a little better for bondage. Have fun!

Randy

Hello rooster this is rooster!
I wolf hunt almost everyday horse back. My everyday saddle gun is a 243 with a 4-12 Leupold VXR with cds moa dial, or 25-06 with a Leupold 6-18 with a varmit reticle both are deadly to 500 yards.The area i hunt typically has a 20 -30 mph South wind. So farther then this is not of my ability.
I typically shoot my rifle everyday after I ride and half the time the zero will be off, usually not much but off is off. Plus I hate a big cumbersome rifle under my leg. I have found that for my Long range rig, it is just best to bring a pack horse and a hard case rigged to pack and open easy, or similar large padded soft case. This way you have bipod attached, and a rear bag and all the other goodies needed.

Would the real Rooster please stand up....:D

740, I am believing the pack horse thing might be the way to fly also. Plus I always have a horse that needs to be saddled up and taken out, so why not use them. This will be the way I haul the new LRKM in a pelican case.

I plan to get back after the saddle rifle project this summer. There is a new lathe not too awful far away. I am thinking the owner might help me get one together if I bring along my LRKM for him to test drive.:D What ya think BnG?

This rifle I feel will be the nutz for a wolf rig. 7mm-300 win, 24 to 26" tube, 8.5 twist and the new 195 Berger with a .795 BC. A light weight narrow forearm stock to slide in and out easily. On top goes a 2.5~10x32 Compact NXS mounted low. Should be pretty bad medicine out to 1000 and will defy the wind pretty good too. I need to get this rifle done.

Jeff

Would the real Rooster please stand up....:D

740, I am believing the pack horse thing might be the way to fly also. Plus I always have a horse that needs to be saddled up and taken out, so why not use them. This will be the way I haul the new LRKM in a pelican case.

I plan to get back after the saddle rifle project this summer. There is a new lathe not too awful far away. I am thinking the owner might help me get one together if I bring along my LRKM for him to test drive.:D What ya think BnG?

This rifle I feel will be the nutz for a wolf rig. 7mm-300 win, 24 to 26" tube, 8.5 twist and the new 195 Berger with a .795 BC. A light weight narrow forearm stock to slide in and out easily. On top goes a 2.5~10x32 Compact NXS mounted low. Should be pretty bad medicine out to 1000 and will defy the wind pretty good too. I need to get this rifle done.

Jeff

I am sitting, or laying rather! I've been up all night with sick kids and out all morning looking for but wishing I was chasing mutts!

PLAN A
It really is just as fast to pull a complete rifle out of that pelican, nose to tail your horses and start shooting!

PLAN B
Find a spot to tie up your horse, or hope like hell he stands for a volley of rifle fire. You jerk your iron that you may have an altered zero by kicking the crap out of your scope in the process of horse racing wolves. You dig your bipod out of your backpack or saddle bag, find your rear bag out of your other saddle bag, by now you are panicking! You put all necessary long range shooting accessories together and start shooting......Oh crap the mutts are out of range.... Repeat PLAN B

I am not the real rooster! The real rooster would just fly over the wolf and drop a grenade!:D

721: If your looking for a different scope for your scabbard, a NF will not fit in mine. I have a couple of Husky's and they do but not by much. Mine are the old discontinued version. They were pricey then but now you are looking at the Blue diamond version they are a couple hundred more. I have been doing tactical shoots and my partner shoots a vortex pst. His scope is about the same size as my Husky and has a pure MOA reticle. It is also about half the price of the Husky. I can't imagine purchasing a Husky now with a PST or the the $500 HS version. He used the HS version on his AR and it is pretty solid. The reticle is a little lacking in that it is more difficult to range with it. Just another thought.

I am sitting, or laying rather! I've been up all night with sick kids and out all morning looking for but wishing I was chasing mutts!

PLAN A
It really is just as fast to pull a complete rifle out of that pelican, nose to tail your horses and start shooting!

PLAN B
Find a spot to tie up your horse, or hope like hell he stands for a volley of rifle fire. You jerk your iron that you may have an altered zero by kicking the crap out of your scope in the process of horse racing wolves. You dig your bipod out of your backpack or saddle bag, find your rear bag out of your other saddle bag, by now you are panicking! You put all necessary long range shooting accessories together and start shooting......Oh crap the mutts are out of range.... Repeat PLAN B

Hank, Hope you all get healed up over there quickly. We need you out pasting wolves not tending to sick young ones.

You have just convinced me to set the Pelican up with all needed items for a shot including a cut out for a few rounds. Plus I will be modifying a pack saddle to carry it safely with a quick release. Note to self 'keep a lead rope attached to headstall".

Jeff

It's a good thing Berger is taking some time to get that bullet out, they must be on the same plan I am. :D
I've had the SW MT plague that it sounds like Roosters dealing with, been through the 7 rings of hell the last couple weeks with this crap and just now feel like I can get out of the house :rolleyes:

These scabbards are looking awesome!! What do you think about slinging them vertical from the horn? I've used one like that when I was a kid and really liked it cause I could get my 22 out and shoot rabbits without getting of the horse, I haven't done it with large rifle though, anyone try it?

Where have I heard this quote "Can I shoot from this horse"........ " Sure... Once"

Jeff

Did you mean this guy?

Attachments

• shoot and find out.jpg
    shoot and find out.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.