Zeiss w/Target Turrets

jrg_80

How do I go about knowing how to adjust as needed? I just put a 4.5x14 on my 257 weatherby and would like to know how once i have it sighted in and the turrets turned to 0 how do I know how to adjust for distance??? If I'm sighted in dead at 200yds and I'm shooting at a target 560yds...... how do I know how many clicks to go to get on target? Does Zeiss have a program, do I need a calculator.....?

thanks
jrg

Yeah, you will need a calculator. I use the G7 one here on this site. I've shot out to 663 yards with the data from this calculator, and it is dead on. You can get on GSeven's website and they have tutorial videos to show how it works. This calc here will even let you print out the drop charts. I have the field card printed out, and taped to the side of my stock with clear packing tape so I always have it handy. Have fun!!!!

Find a good ballistics calculator and develop a drop chart for your load. I like the JBM calculator JBM - Calculations. It is well proven and offers the different variables I like to adjust to find accurate click adjustment.

Once you have the chart, make sure you validate the settings at a number of distances. I have used a few different programs - some work and some dont. The only way to tell is to validate what they are telling you against actual field shooting.

Also, remember that if you shoot in an area with different inputs, your drop chart needs to be regenerated with the new information. Eg if you develop and validate a load in summer, then shoot in winter, or move to a higher altitude, the drop chart has changed. The further out the target, the more these variables matter. As you build your skills, you may find a handheld computer that lets you add the relevant variables in real time will be the most accurate way of calculating drop.

Here is a copy of my dope chart for my Zeiss. I have the Rapid-Z reticle and calibrated the reticle too at various altitudes. I am point-and-shoot out too 650 yards and then I dial for shots beyond that.

(Edit - the spreadsheet looked fine in edit mode but is a mess in the post...........)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.