Rust Preventative Oil for Inside Bore

I would second the motion of Kiwikid. EEZOX is the best solvent, lubricant and rust preventative I have ever used since I started hunting back in 1963. Have used all the other products mentioned in this thread. Kyle Craig, a excellent gunsmith from Oro Valley, AZ turned me onto synthetic EEZOX, and I'm glad he did. The best analogy may be like going from petroleum based to full synthetic oil for the engine in your car. Also, bolt actions will move smoother than with any other product I've ever used.

I use RIG gun grease to protect my guns for storage. Use a cotton mop of proper size to coat bore and sheep skin pad to wipe down the outside. Been using it for 50 some years with no rust showing. Run a couple of patches with Hoppes through barrel and a couple of dry patches. Good to go. Brownells has it.

I've used Eezox before, but wasn't convinced it had staying power on the exterior of my rifles which were exposed to normal abrasion with vegetation while hiking/hunting.
But it should be very good corrosion protector inside of bore during firearm storage.
How well does it last on the exterior metal surfaces if your firearms, for those using it?

I do not use it for exterior protection, that's why I always buy stainless steel barrels and actions.

I have used plain old sewing machine oil in my guns for over 40 years, never had a barrel get rust, even after storage of over a year, despite living in a wet sub tropical climate. It helps, as others have mentioned, to use one of those damp removers available from hardware stores inside the safe itself, but I rarely bother even with that these days. Hope this is helpful. Regards Tom

I just gave up in frustration trying to figure out what oil I can use to coat the INSIDE of my rifle barrels after cleaning and before I put them in the safe or take them to the range or hunting. My research came up with a bunch of people touting what they use with no reason why or any kind of validation.

It's incredibly hot and humid here and I'm getting ready for a groundhog hunt in Virginia and shooting a couple of days a week to get ready so the exposure to hot and humid conditions early mornings when it's still slightly cool is extreme.

What oil can I use in my barrels to prevent rust but that won't lay down a harmful coat that will affect accuracy or leave a nasty film?

I don't want the standard "I use this" answers with no experience in long range shooting or hot and humid conditions... I want to hear from long range shooters that, like me, have to expose their rifles to hot and humid conditions yet expect long range accuracy.

I'm tempted to use Breakfree LP but really have no clue. I used Kroil for years and blindly trusted it until I recently found out it has absolutely NO rust preventative properties... <SIGH>
You might try Dyna Bore Coat. I know it is sold mainly to reduce fouling and make cleaning easier but I understand that it also protects the bore from corrosion.

I've used Eezox before, but wasn't convinced it had staying power on the exterior of my rifles which were exposed to normal abrasion with vegetation while hiking/hunting.
But it should be very good corrosion protector inside of bore during firearm storage.
How well does it last on the exterior metal surfaces if your firearms, for those using it?

Hi phorwath,

On one of my hunting trips I coated the exterior of my Steyr rifle with Eezox before two of us headed into the bush. It was the middle of our summer and it rained for three days but we kept on hunting. The rifle sat outside in the rain at night as there wasn't enough room in the tent for it. Even though at times I was pushing through thick undergrowth the Eezox stayed put. The rifle came out of the bush rather wet but there was no signs of rust and the water was still beading off the barrel and action. i only own chrome moly barreled rifles.
Kiwikid

Good to hear & thanks for sharing that. I'm headed out into the mountains tomorrow with some rain predicted. I've Eezox coated the exterior of the rifle barrel & action. Will see how it does on this 4-day hunt.

Good to hear & thanks for sharing that. I'm headed out into the mountains tomorrow with some rain predicted. I've Eezox coated the exterior of the rifle barrel & action. Will see how it does on this 4-day hunt.

Good luck with the hunt.

If I am heading out for an extended trip with rain forecast I will put some Eezox on a 6" square piece of cloth and store it in a zip lock bag so i can wipe the rifle down at the end of the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.