Ruger M77 Tang Safety HELP--removed all variables, still sucks.....

2. Now this is tricky, but pull the barreled action out of the stock and inspect the area around the angled screw. This can make or break you here. It doesn't take a lot to make things go bad here. You might try adding a .003" or a .005" plastic shim there to see if it helps. If it makes a difference, then you need to lightly skim bed that area again (that's what I had to do with one rifle). I suspect that everybody has their own method of tightening these screws. I like to do the front and back ones down to about 30 inch pounds, then bring the center one down to the same. After that, I bring the other two down to 40 inch pounds, and then bring the center one down to the same or slightly under or over in in tension (I find the rifle vary a bit). The torque wrench you use has a lot to do with the end results. Forget the break over ones, and find one with a dial. Look over each screw under a strong light. Look at the first two threads at the end to see if they are shiny or even discolored. If they are, you might need to either run a tap into the holes for a clean up. You also might need to grind a thread off the tip of the screw itself.

gary

It seems to me that adding this shim and then testing might also help identify a front screw that is to long. I see plastic/neoprene washers at the hardware store but I think they're all thicker than .005".

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.